Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Captive Great White Shark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.28(Tue)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are absolutely beautiful apex predators. Conserving them is a must and those who worry about swimming in shark infested waters should realize that it's their home and they rule their homes the way we rule ous. Although with a bit more discrimination. LOL
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.09.28(Tue)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I am only Open Water Certified in SCUBA, via the PADI program, but I'll pass along my professor's words: if sharks were a true threat to humans in the water, there would be no SCUBA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.01(Fri)8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Huntress and Taratron - they are extraordinary and beautifully evolved hunters. We need sharks in our world! I am perfectly happy to stay out of the sea because that is there terrotory. And I know that you have more chance of winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning, yahta yahta, than getting et by a shark. And I think that if you are unlucky enough to get chomped, that's just your bad luck and not the shark's fault. I would loove to be able to visit the Aquarium and take a look at this baby....

Except I live far far away and actually the thought of getting close to one is kinda scarey... yeah, I'm a wuss. Laughing But more power to shark conservationists.

If the shark is in the 1 mill with all the other fishies, aren't the curators worried about their bluefin gettin' et? I know I'd want to munch a nice piece of tuna steak if I were Sharky Twisted Evil But then I suppose it takes the bother of having feeding time, they could just let her predate 'naturally' (in an unnatural situ, understood)
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Heres a video of divers swimming with the Great White. You wouldnt ever catch me in there! Unless a substantial amount of cash was involved Cool ....anyway heres the link-

http://www.mbayaq.org/news/Default.asp?bhcp=1
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.12(Wed)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol we have different views on that ultra. they would have to pay me money not to go in there. course I would use scuba equitment and stay near the bottom. being at the surface is the major risk.

andrew
2 winged demons
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me wrong I'm not a sufferer of Selachophobia! At work we have a 16 foot high atlantic display tank(the ones with the tunnel through them) and weve all got into the water with the the sharks, some at 5.5ft. But those are tope and smoothhounds, not on the same scale as a Great White! Very Happy

So who thinks this one will actually last it and be the first captive(for any substantial length of time) great white?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.13(Thu)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as they keep it stimulated along with good water quality a large enough space it should last. by stimulated I mean getting a cut out of a seal and pulling it along the surface of the water. (jaws music) I think it is good that they are going to have it there as it educate the puplic about them not as mindless killlers but as a magnificient creation of evolution.

andrew
2 winged demons
Patrick005
Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.18(Tue)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not approve of this but, I was watching a show on the Earth's magnetic field. They were trying to prove that all living things have their own built in cumpass that cooridnates with Earth's magnetic field. They were doing studies on lobsters by changing the magnetic field around them. They would change direction. Well what I was getting to if you were able to do that could you make the captive creature think they made there migratory voyage. Again if it were possible I would not approve. Confused
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.31(Mon)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the article about the shark. I immediately went upstairs and aske my wife "how are we going to get to California this weekend? Do you want to drive or fly?" (We live in Kentucky!) She didn't take to kindly to the idea. It seems her fascination with watching a Great White just isn't what mine is.

As to the morality of keeping a Great White in a 1 million gallon aquarium, I personally choose not to think about it. The entire fishkeeping hobby is getting way out of hand, and this is just yet another step in the wrong direction. I am not sure why this is such a big debate. We kill thousands upon thousands of Manderine Gobys every year due to dietary needs, but nobody says a word. Is it because the Great White is a bigger animal? Do we somehow think it is OK to kill smaller species, but we want to treat larger animals with care?

Overall, I am willing to risk the life of a single species if it means we can learn more about protecting the entire poplulation. I'm just not so sure this is the reason they are keeping the shark. $$$$$$$
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, app. the shark is biting everything. Shocked
Isn't that what sharks do?
They are going to release the shark back into the wild. They put the duh back in the song, duh, duh duh duh...
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: