Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Captive Great White Shark
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.19(Sun)7:08    Post subject: Captive Great White Shark Reply with quote

http://montereybayaquarium.org/cr/whiteshark.asp

Wow, 4 MILLION GALLONS and ONE fish! Very Happy Imagine the possibilities!
Seriously though what do you guys think on this? How long will it last there? Many places have tried keeping great whites but they all stop eating or just wither away. Apparantly they can pick up the tiniest electical pulses which affects them(they use it to navigate or something) and one previous captive kept great white was picking up electricity from this stuff called Rebar in the concrete which was rusting!(the rebar). Well it seems to be feeding so I think it might be fine.
Anyone in the US near Monterey? Get some pics!
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pppsssttt*

Quote:
Where housed Million-gallon Outer Bay exhibit, a multi-species exhibit that is home to giant Pacific bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, California barracuda, Pacific bonito, ocean sunfish, black sea turtles, pelagic stingrays, scalloped hammerhead sharks, Galapagos sharks, and soupfin sharks.

Well hopefully this one will do well. Rebar is "Reinforcment Bar", IIRC. It is thick metal bars that are place in various patterns inside of concert to help make it stronger. If you watch the building of roads, buildings, or sometimes sidewalks they will lay the "rebar" down first then the pour the cement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.21(Tue)4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I am not a fan of keeping aquatic animals which in nature have huge migratory journeys, and which single specimens occupy lrage areas of the oceans. To us, it may look like the creature has a large space in proportion to it's size, but compared to its natural space, it must feel tiny.

I know it can help us find out more about such animals if kept in cativity, but surely it would be more worthwhile to study them in their natural habitat? To take the time to find out how the animal really acts when it has everything nature has to offer?

The shark well may survive, and give some more information about it's species, but I'm sure it can't possibly show us how it would react to situations if given the knowledge it would gain out in the open water. And if the shark has only been captured for entertainment, then this is surely going against preservation acts.

Any thoughts?

Phil Wink
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.21(Tue)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, she's in one million gallons not 4 Smile

Quote:
Where housed

Million-gallon Outer Bay exhibit, a multi-species exhibit that is home to giant Pacific bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, California barracuda, Pacific bonito, ocean sunfish, black sea turtles, pelagic stingrays, scalloped hammerhead sharks, Galapagos sharks, and soupfin sharks.

uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.22(Wed)0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, she WAS in a four million gallon pen not 1 Smile
If I meant one, I would have said one.
Quote:
Where held Four-million-gallon ocean pen, off Malibu
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.24(Fri)0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics-

Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)9:01    Post subject: OMG!!!! Teeth! Reply with quote

Okaaay... I know this fish is just a long-lost fishy cousin of my danios and tetras..... BUT IT'S A BLOODY GREAT EATING MACHINE!!! WITH BIG TEETH!!!
I am all for shark conservation - here in Cape Town there's currently a big debate on shark eco-tours and the ethics surrounding them... False Bay, about 20 mins from where I live, is a major White shark breeding ground.

I know sharks are endangered - this is not a good thing. And I have mixed opinions about this project. I agree with Trill re: the small space for migratory animals, but increasing our sum of knowledge about these creatures is vital. Sharks are a necessary part of the ocean ecosystem.

But... I still don't like 'em. In fact, I have such a shark phobia that it's been 6 years since I swam in the sea! Laughing That's fine by me - sharky
stays in natural habitat (sea), and Clarey stays in hers (library)!
Broodingwolf
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Clare I feel the same way!
20g long -- platy's new home -- in progress
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

uLtRa wrote:
Also, she WAS in a four million gallon pen not 1 Smile
If I meant one, I would have said one.
Quote:
Where held Four-million-gallon ocean pen, off Malibu

Quote:
From July 29-August 4, 2003, we held a young five-foot white shark in a 5-million-gallon ocean pen
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.28(Tue)2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked sorry but that went straight over my head! ANYWAY back to the whole topic title- the shark!(Think we should move on now....)

Clare, I gotta agree with yourself there about it being a big scary eating machine! I went to Malaysia to vist family 2 years ago and we all stayed at a resort on the East coast. I totally forgot to think about sharks and just naturally ran into the sea as soon as we hit the beach. Next thing I know theres some guy just shouting the waters are shark infested, I got out pretty damn fast!! don't you think its just really really interesting having the oceans best predator where we can all see it? I want to see it eat! Twisted Evil
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: