Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Why Planted Tanks Are Bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.16(Thu)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fish die in a tank like you describe and by the time I found it...it was pretty dead...not a pretty site.

however, I love tanks like this as it gives fish and fry lots of hiding spots-now I move the thickets regularly to inspect. Also, you have to be careful not to overfeed in these tanks.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.09.16(Thu)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a ricefish in this tank, and she's gone....but with a tank filled with cories, kuhlis, and I think a banjo cat, though I haven't seen him in weeks, which is overall normal for them!, there's no body to be found!

Though it's a kick to see these odd babies, and I have NO idea what kind of fish they are....presumably killifish, but I merely lessened the some hundred thousand species they -could- be to a thousand. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.18(Sat)14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put down a vote on the ricefish, who probably strung some of those grapelike eggs in the back where they managed to escape everyones notice.
bobo
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.18(Sat)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you meen, my buddy has a planted tank and she loses fish all the time. Taratron, I would love to see a pic of this tank!!!
Tom Sellick
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that Planted tanks help keep the gravel cleaner by asboring some of the nasties?
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does Tom...I haven't deep vacced any tanks in many many months. I only skim the surface that I can get to and rarely get anything out that is nasty.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Georgiadawgger
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.21(Thu)10:52    Post subject: Bring back an old post Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:
I know I had 2 amano shrimp in the tank in question....but haven't seen them in a good while. Sad

In my 29, I had 3, and again, no sights for weeks. In my 20 long, I spotted one out of the two under some driftwood.

Here's an interesting one...I was backflushing my Eheim 2213 the other day and out popped an amano shrimp!! Shocked I have about 20-25 (???) in my tank and contrary to what others say, mine are always out in the open picking at the gravel, java log, and recent algae outbreak on my glosso.

I suppose the shrimp crawled into the filter via the surface extractor at night? Anyone ever seen them flying across the tank at night? Wierd behavior. I've yet to have any "jump ship", but this one boggles me. I have no clue how long it was at the bottom of the canister though! I've heard of people backflushing their eheims with cherry shrimp in their tank and zillions of babies flying out!!
marto
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you got too much decor then
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: