Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Why Planted Tanks Are Bad
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.09.13(Mon)16:02    Post subject: Why Planted Tanks Are Bad Reply with quote

I kid you not. Excessively planted tanks are bad news.

Example would be our ten gallon ex-betta tank, which now houses kuhli loaches, black kuhlis, and bronze cories. Also some 4 or 5 peacock goby fry. I rarely see these guys, because the tank is literally handfuls of hornwort, java moss, and the top is layered an inch thick with duckweed.

Before those fry were added, I tried my luck with various killifish, all of which died overnight, or leapt from the tank soon after they were put in. The last inhabitant was a ricefish, given to me from the last killi auction. She vanished last week, no body outside the tank, and nothing within (which is how I measured out the exact handfuls of mixed plants!).

So down to cories and kuhlis and perhaps goby babies.

Save recently, when I've spotted some very small, half of a half of an inch long fry in the mix. Not just one, mind you, but three or four! They look like killifish fry, but as for the species....not a clue!

Hence why very very jungle-ish planted tanks are bad news. It's impossible to keep an accurate census!

So, what is everyone else's oddball/miracle find? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.13(Mon)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain...Amano shrimp here are on the expensive side. I put 60 dollars worth in one of the 29's and a week later could only find a couple shrimp...out of 10 shrimp. Shocked A few months later with an aquascape change I found I had 6 shrinp in the tank...all the same size. Those little buggers can hide very well. Laughing
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.09.13(Mon)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I had 2 amano shrimp in the tank in question....but haven't seen them in a good while. Sad

In my 29, I had 3, and again, no sights for weeks. In my 20 long, I spotted one out of the two under some driftwood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.09.13(Mon)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a planted tank but... I keep some of my plant cuttings in an un-heated plastic wash basin with old tank water and I'm always finding fry from my Harlequin Rasboras in it. Oh great, something else to take care of as I don't have the heart to toss em back into the tank for Ma and Pa to eat.

Fred
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.14(Tue)6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron that's what pruning is for, Smile It helps keep the plants cut back. If you have a LFS that takes plant back that helps. I find people that generally keep heavily planted tanks, it's about the plants not the fish. I know in my 30 as much as I love to see the fish and inverts. If I don't it doesn't bother. However, I have never been very census conscience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.14(Tue)6:54    Post subject: Re: Why Planted Tanks Are Bad Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:

So, what is everyone else's oddball/miracle find? Very Happy

I took a small stand-up pond (45 gallon cauldron shaped) from a local aquarist friend that had a fair amount of plants in it. Three large rosy barbs came with it. When I went to scoop out some of the fish and get those rosies in for the winter I found several baby rosy barbs!

On a side note, summering tropical fish outside in tubs can really bring out their colors. It's amazing what real sunlight does for them. Those rosy barbs are a brilliant color I've never seen on them before. Also, I found a rogue oto in the tub that my friend must have tossed in there. He was just a common brown one, but after spending the summer in the sunlight he had a lot of irridescent color on him. Next summer I'm going to try to summer some mbunas outside...I've always heard they look amazing when you scoop them back out in the fall.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.14(Tue)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons wrote:
I find people that generally keep heavily planted tanks, it's about the plants not the fish.

I am guilty of that. I do have a few favorite fish, but I have more favorite plants.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.15(Wed)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia,

I noticed that even when sunlight hits my tank in the evening my praecox look stunning. In my normal lamps they look so drab. If Buffalo see's summer for more than 2 weeks I might ahve to try some summer of plants and fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.15(Wed)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons,

Ya, but I'm actually talking about the fish having improved pigment because of their sunlight exposure. It fades over the winter months of being back in their indoor tank, but it's definitely noticable!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.15(Wed)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyradia, I have noticed the sunlight thing...that's why I currently keep my tank in front of a large east facing window. Yes, I have occasional algae problems but WOW the colors I get.
Raising bettas outside over the summer is also a real eye-opener. Between the sunlight and the live food, even the plainest female will put an indoor male to SHAME. So shimmery, they look like the Rainbowfish (the cartoon Rainbow fish, not rainbow fish....)
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: