Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Problems...
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamkylemcandrews
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.12(Sun)0:06    Post subject: Problems... Reply with quote

Here is the rundown on my reef tank, it has been set up since around March and we had a nice group of fish at one time, including a bicolor blenny, watchman goby, a yellow and powder blue tang, and a brazilian gramma. Around a month or so ago began losing fish. All of our inverts were still thriving, as well as our corals, our water quality was fine and we were bewildered. We proceded to buy mantis shrimp and bristle worm traps, but never found any pests of that sort. We run a refugium on the tank and it keeps nitrates/nitrites down to around 10ppm. I was wandering if anyone has any idea of what could have killed off all of our fish? I am planning on buying a small blenny tomorrow at work (I work at a small pet store that specialized in fresh and saltwater fish) so I can see if our tank can support any fish...

Anyone have any ideas of what could be going on? I have gotten oppinions from my co workers and no one seems to have any idea, water quality has been perfect and havnt seen any bristle worms or mantis shrimps, does anyone know what could be killing my fish? (havnt notice any signs of illness either, just sudden dissapearence of fish, usually not finding the bodies)

Thanks,
Kyle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.12(Sun)0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well we need more info on your tank. 1 how big is it, 2 what where the lastest test resaults from when they died. also if it had been a mantis your shrimps would have probably been killed and if you had any crabs they would have been targeted. also I have been in the hobby for 2 years and something I learned very quickly was bristle worms are your friends. free clean up crew that has an uncanny sence of smell and a taste for fish food. also where their any noticable unusually markings on the fish when you took them out after they had died? As a note to everyone we cannot answer your questions unless we get all the facts!

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
iamkylemcandrews
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.12(Sun)1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

No markings on the fish when they died... Also only found 2 of the bodies of the missing fish. Water quality of last fish death was Nitate - 10 ppm, nitrite and ammonia both at 0... It is a 75 g tank, with a trickle sump around 900 gph with a 350 magnum on the side...

Kyle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.18(Sat)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was the pH? salinity? temp? also at what time of day did the fish die/disappear or when did you find them? I myself lost 3 damsels and a coral beauty because of an infestation of algae which literaly sucked the oxygen out of the water at night.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: