Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish killing my Tetra...
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trey
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)15:43    Post subject: Goldfish killing my Tetra... Reply with quote

I have one common goldfish in with 3 tetra's(unsure their name, they are blue and pink ones) and one Danio, the golfish is nipping and trying to kill one of the tetra's, I recently lost a Danio and a Pleco to unknown causes due to my water qualities being good, I was baffled by their deaths but now that I am witnessing this goldfish killing spree I am wondering if he could have killed my Danio and pleco.

could this be my cause of mysterious deaths?

any help is very much appreciated.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size tank are they all in? We need a bit more info on everything to get a good idea of what is going on. Otherwise we are working blind. What are your water parameters? Temp?

Also, goldfish don't go well with tetras because they require totally different water conditiont. Tetras are tropical fish while goldies are coldwater fish.
Trey
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

parameters are good, temp of about 25 degrees in a 20g tank.

I was suprised about the pleco...thought he wouldn't be in trouble at all. But thanks for the tetra/goldfish no no, that would say a lot about my problem.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have the temp a bit too high. I'd drop the temp down to at least 70-72 or 21-22 degrees celcius. Goldfish can get digestive problems when their temp is too high. Plus, they get ill faster in warmer tanks.

I know you say your water parameters are good, but could you humour me with the exact numbers? For the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and even the pH. There could be something in those values that may tell someone somethign that you didn't see. Smile

watch out for the pleco in the future. He'll decide that the goldie's slimecoat makes a great snack and then you'll be out a goldfish.
Trey
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammonia and nitrite are zero, pH 7.0 and all other parameters are constant as they have been for months. So it is confusing.

thanks for all the help Huntress, any idea what killed my pleco...was all good and normal and then on morning he was just ...dead. Did Goldie get him? er what, I thought Pleco were tough, hardy things.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.12(Sun)8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you do waterchanges? Do you kow your NitrAte level? Is the pH naturally at 7.0 or do you adjust it. If you adjust it, how? If I remember the other questions I wanted to ask I'll post them. Smile
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: