Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
beginner ! large tank what are the basics on a budget!!!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candy
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)9:18    Post subject: beginner ! large tank what are the basics on a budget!!! Reply with quote

hello everyone. I have a 6ft x2ft x2ft tank, it holds around 600ltr ,please can some1 tell me what size filter I need (cheapest!) and how long the tank should stand for,( I've been told by 2 sep fish shops, it should stand for around 8wks and the other said 24hrs ) I intend to keep mainly goldfish in the tank and add as I learn more. I have to get a water tester to check the nitrate level is there a certain type I should use?
all help would be VERY welcome Rolling Eyes
Gunnie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Candy! Wow, what a great tank to start with! My suggestion is to read ALL the articles here to get started. I don't know why a tank would have to sit for 8 weeks unless that is when you are fishless cycling your tank. After reading the articles, you may have different ideas on what you want to do with your tank. Goldfish are big poopers and not the greatest fish to start a first tank with. Also, the article on filters will help you decide how big of a filter you need, and what kind you think you would like to have. I have a 100 gal. tank in my living room with 2 canister filters, and I love them for the bigger tanks. Hang on back filters are my very least favorite filters, and I try to avoid using them if I can. May I also suggest you purchase an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit which contains the nitrate test. They make 2 master test kits with different tests. The one with the nitrate test is what you want as a beginner. You will need this when cycling your tank, and if you bought the nitrate test separate from the master test kit, it could cost the same by itself! So, in the long run, the master test kit is the way to go. I paid $15.00 for mine. Anyway, read the articles so you have some ideas on the fish you want, if you want plants, cycling, etc., and post your questions you can't find answers to. Wink You will find after successfully setting up your first tank, that this hobby will become an addiction Wink
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.09.11(Sat)23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the biggest Aquaclear filters you can, at least two of them, and get them online for the most bang for the buck. ($36x2) Shoot for flow rates of 10 to 15 times the size of the tank. .http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3610&Ne=40000&R=1322&N=2004+22769

Then, consider keeping the tank bare bottomed. You can put colored cloth under the tank so it has some color, but the glass bottom is so much easier to clean.

You must have a test kit, I suggest Master Test Kit by Aquarium Pharacuticals ($11 at PetSolutions.com) with tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and high and regular pH.

You'll need a siphon and a hose to change water. If money is tight, I suggest making your own, (about $20) get a length of clear 1/2" tubing and the hose connections you need to hook to your sink. Also, make a siphon wand by getting a narrow length of clear rigid tubing from the pet store (about $1 or $2) and match some clear plastic tubing to that. I think mine is 3/8" rigid and 1/2" clear. I use a baby nasal suction thing from walmart ($1) to start the siphon running then siphon solid wastes to a bucket (Dollar store, mark for fish only, never use with soap). If you insist on having gravel in the tank, then just buy a Python system in whatever lenght is needed to get to a sink, again, online is cheaper. (BigAlsOnline.com or DrFosterSmith.com or others)

You also want a heater, online again for that ($20). And water conditioner ($9), I like Prime as it treats chlorine, chloramine, nitrite and ammonia http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28321;category_id=3119;pcid1=2207;pcid2=

Add a pair of nets large size, some pickleing salt from the grocery store, and some food in a small size so it does not spoil. I like New Life Spectrum for my big fish and I think they make goldfish food also, but Hikari and other brands are also good.

Clean the filters often, siphon wastes from the bottom daily, and change a lot of water weekly always matching temperatures and dechlorinating. Read at Puregold site about using salt http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
candy
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.12(Sun)15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a 1000ltr marine/freshwater/salt water,submersable water & air pump, I was told this would be fine for my tank, is there a way I can add a filter to this as I've seen some the same but have a filter as well,its a "top quality water pump from resun model number SP-1800. and if so what do I need to buy/make?
thanks
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.09.13(Mon)9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what that unit is, probably the place that sold it to you knows what else you need to have with it.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: