Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Moorish Idol
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AussieMike
Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)3:26    Post subject: Moorish Idol Reply with quote

He guys hope everyone is fine,

I bought a beautiful Moorish Idol yesterday easily one of the most beautiful fish around, he has been swimming around very happyly picking on my live rock looking for sponges algae etc. I have frozen brine shrimp and blood worms which I feed my two other fish. I dropd some frozen brine shrimp in the tank this afternoon but it didn't grab his interest just yet but for the moment he is happy picking at my live rock.

If anyone has any information about these fish or experince could you please reply.

Thankyou for your time

Michael
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Moorish Idol is that it is extremely hard to keep in captivity and usually dies well before its alloted timespan. It's one of those fish that I wish stayed out of the hobby because if we aren't careful they are jsut going to die out.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanclus canescens: a beautiful fish that should not be purchased or sold due to it's terrible mortality rate in captive systems. Notice, I did not say it is impossible, it CAN be kept with proper selection and care, but consider how many will die in order to bring you the rare one that adapts, and hobbyists will agree with me it should be avoided, unless they are cruel and inconsiderate of the world's reef life. For this fish, it's too late. And the you can be sure the LFS has aready ordered more to replace it. A better species would be the Heniochus, very similar but a lot more hardy.
The brine shrimp is a waste of time; even if it's taken it offers little nutritional value. You need to stay on top of this or you WILL lose the Moorish Idol quickly. If you are careful about water quality, feeding and avoiding all stress (including copper treatments) you will probably lose it more slowly. There is a slim chance you will have long term success.
Here are some stories of success and failure:
http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/e_moorish.php
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/b_fenner_102900.html
http://www.google.com/custom?q=moorish+idol&sitesearch=wetwebmedia.com
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.23(Thu)6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only are they a very difficult species to keep they need a very large tank just to keep one. at least 100 gallons or more they do get decent size but need lots of swimming room.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=371&TopCatId=46
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.24(Sun)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little follow up here...
Well AussieMike, it's been almost 2 months since your original post,
how is your Moorish Idol doing?
AussieMike
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.27(Wed)18:49    Post subject: hey hey Reply with quote

Hey guys sorry I havent kept you all posted I ended up moving him tomy mates 12 ft tank where he has 2 others which he has kept for two years and my one is doing great. My mate is feeding them sponges and all types of green algae and seeweed and they love it

Thanks

Michael
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.28(Thu)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, good to hear a success story.
For the record, can you provide more info on the diet they are taking...
is that a frozen sponge product from a store or something fresh he gathered and/or prepared himself? Your specific info will help others, many thanks.
AussieMike
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.06(Sat)9:36    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

OK here is our findings.

Morrish Idols are funny fish, we belivethe secreat is besides the tank size is having a group of them. Why this is becasue the other Moorish Idols who have been in the tank for two year know were mymate and I put the fresh sponges that we dive for and sushi roles. All of this we put ontop and underneath a peice of live rock near the top My moorish idl has watched them go there and now follows there eating patterns and styles exactly the same. We feed them twice a day. The sponges we get are green and organe and sometimes red I'm not sure if there local but they seem to love them also picking atthem at the lvie rock. The shushi flakes we have it cliped to the side on the tank with a suction cap and just floates there and they come and get it when they feel like we is great so we basically instead of forcing food down them we provide the food and they choosethemselves when they want to eat.

We also have done a foodmixture by going to the local fish store of the following:

Octopus
Mussels
clams
Sponge
sushi rolls

we put this into a food processor and they go nuts over this
hope this helps.

any more info or questions just ask ehre or get me on msn at

mikehunter87@hotmail.com

thanks guys

Michael
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: