Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
yoyo heaven(?)
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ Mix
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.11(Sat)14:01    Post subject: yoyo heaven(?) Reply with quote

some funny guys

My new tank.

The pvc pipe is a little unsightly, but everything I read said that loaches require lots of hiding spots. Unfortunately, they don't see it that way and spend more time out in the open than I ever expected. I guess it's true, the more places they have to hide, the more you see'um. Inside you'll find:

6- yoyo
1- dojo
1- 5" common pleco
3- upside down cats
2- LF leapord danios
4- LF zebra danios
3- zebra danios

I would appreciate a couple comments on my stocking. It seems to be working out quite well, and it's a very fun and peaceful community. A lot of action! Tho I don't like it when the loaches play dead. I knew about that when I got them, but it hasn't stopped me from being concerned.

Thanks for any comments you may have.
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.11(Sat)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the PVC pipe is a nice addition. Maybe once your loaches start growing you could get some bigger pipes and cut them in half so you can see up inside them from the bottom of the tank. That could lead to some interesting photos...

Byez! Very Happy
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.11(Sat)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tank that is definatly yoyo heaven! very nice tank! personally I don't find the pvc unatractive its just a way to make it look more natural. also a very good way to make pvc look better is simply get a plastic container, fill it up with about 1-2 inches of the same gravel you have in your tank(make sure its really dry) coat a peice of pvc with a bit of aquarium silicone. roll in gravel. let dry! just my 2 cents

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
Doosharm
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.11(Sat)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pvc. Its almost exiting thinking about how fun it would be to hide in there. SLACkra, thats a great idea about coating the pvc. My brother is a plumber so I have infinite access to free pvc but I didn't know how I could make it look more natural. Thanks for the tip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.11(Sat)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool I had a good idea...for once. I got that idea from turtle specific tanks. what they usually do is mounted a peice of glass on its side inside the tank to create the land area and to make it so the turtle can grip it they put aquarium silicone on it and add gravel. looks neat too!

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.14(Tue)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea.. that looks like a lot of fun for loches.. maybe you can do some rock stacks as well. or more plant bunches. My loaches like sifting near the plants and hiding in them too. Over all I kinda like the look.

For stocking. Nix the pleco and 1 maybe 2 more dojo's. They like friends.

For the danio's. Nix 1 species of danio and get 6+ of the others. You didn't say how big the tank is. That would have a lot to do with what you can stock to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DJ Mix
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.14(Tue)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't nix the pleco. Sweetie is my son's fish and the entire reason I was able to plea bargin for the 55g instead of the 20 long my wife would've prefered. I want some java moss, but noone carries it locally. I have a nice peice of wood, maple cutting, that I'm currently treating. It was too large to boil so I used bleach. It'll be months before I feel comfortable putting it in, but it will be gorgeous.

Sweetie

As for another dojo, I would love to get another, but I think I'm maxed as is. Or, at least, when Sweetie grows up.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.12.15(Wed)7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

he will be OK in the 55 for a little while. In the mean time you should shop around for a pleco that doesn't get as big. Rubber lip, bristle nose, etc.

Aqua bid has java moss ALL the time. In fact Cyrida sells there on there a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: