Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Does food from freshwater kill SW fish?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chupacabra1
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.30(Mon)17:01    Post subject: Does food from freshwater kill SW fish? Reply with quote

I was reading somewhere on the profile for lion fish that feeding them goldfish will hurt them because the goldfish isn't from saltwater.

Does this apply to all fish? I was wondering because this would change the way I think of recipies for my saltwater fish. I currently feed them all kinds of chopped up fresh water fish and blood worms. Should people stick to feeding their fish things that come from the ocean such as brine?
dragonlor
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.31(Tue)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can feed sw fish a limited amount of fresh water food, but over-using is isn't good because it isn't in their natural diet. I think you should stick to sw food for the most part... I'm only about 4 months into sw, but that is the word I am getting from the lfs.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.31(Tue)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would see no imediate problem with you feeding freshwater fish food to your saltwater fish but it would be better for them in general to have a food source that was made for them not for freshwater.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
chupacabra1
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.01(Wed)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right I'll work on that. Its just so mush easyer to raise things like bloodworms and such. Mayb Ill look into raising brine shrimp but I hear they don't have much nutrition. Also when people mix up home reicipies of vegtables for their fish these vegtables arn't from the ocean.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.09.01(Wed)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the problem with goldfish is the fresh water origin.
The problem is their skulls are big enough to block the entrance to the intestine, which causes gut impaction/death for the lionfish.
This can also occur from overfeeding, lions only need to be fed 2 or 3 times a week. A better choice would be guppies, but lions can easily be acclimated to frozen silversides, shrimp and krill so live feeders are not required.
Do not overfeed... a hungry lion is usually a healthy lion.

Frozen market shrimp is a good source of protein for your marine fish.
Buy it fresh at the seafood counter and freeze two weeks worth at a time.
Thawed, chopped or chunked for morays and groupers, it is a good clean food but should still be washed. A good protien skimmer is suggested for removing pollutants cased by feeding this and other "heavy" foods.

One good rule of thumb, never feed your fish the same food twice in a row.
Try rotating between 3 or four offerings. A varied diet of quality marine flakes, frozen reef diets and fresh shrimp, plus lots of green food will do more for your pets than any vitamin additive.
Do not overfeed (X3). Some species may require special diets; angels will appreciate frozen reef diets with sponges. Freeze dried krill is said to improve warm color...at the very least it's another good option for the menu. In my opinion, angels and tangs require a good growth of green algae in the tank to thrive (not slime red brown or green) so if you have some green hairs in your fish tank, rejoice.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.23(Thu)6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

feeding freshwater foods like goldfish to a lion or other types over a long term period can cause liver disease. you want to get your fish on a diet of clam, shimp, krill, squid and so on.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: