Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black comets behaving badly...
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.30(Mon)1:43    Post subject: Black comets behaving badly... Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad

I am a relatively new starter. Grabbed a 2 foot by 1 by 1 foot tank last year after being nagged by the wife, bought a dozen fish and stuck them in. The shop keeper offered no advice, so I made my own way. So far, I have not yet lost any. Fish grew too big, upgraded to a 3 by 1.5 by 1 foot tank. Now the comets are driving me mad.

I have 4 black comets. Their growth has outstripped all other varieties, now the biggest is 7 inches, 4 deep, the smallest 4.5 by 2. I have 3 inches of gravel in the bottom, to bury the plants. The comets will bury their heads down to the gills looking for food and have a liking for my plants. In the past year, I have had 17 plants. 4 new ones last Friday (27th August) and they have followed the same pattern. All stripped to the stems, the one suggested to be the toughest went first. I have tried all varieties I can find. What do I do with the fish? Give them their own tank? Put them in a pond? Anything planted is dug up. I have covered with rocks weighing a pound, even 2 pounds. Yet these things still wreck the place. How big will they grow? They started out an inch long. At this rate, I will need a 400 l tank.

Any help, please?
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.08.30(Mon)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "comets," do you mean the comet goldfish, commonly sold as feeders?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.30(Mon)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comets can grow anywhere from 14" to 24". They really need a pond to do well in. Also, they are pretty close to being veggetarians so of course they are eating your plants. They are a coldwater species and don't do well in water over 74 degrees farenheit.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: