Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help questions about fish in ponds(annoying school work)
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.29(Sun)17:48    Post subject: Help questions about fish in ponds(annoying school work) Reply with quote

hi guys,

for a school project my class is doing this permiculture/sustainability project thingy. so me and this guy chose to continue the frog/fish pond. its basically a bathtub in the ground. we have added a peice of wood(turned the water a nice brown) and some old carpet for the edges. we have been told that some good functional plants would be duck potato(sagittaria latifolia) and we have also be told that they want fish in it. my teacher said goldfish or rice paddy fish would be OK but I would prefer no fish because this is a shifty school pond. I was trying to research rice paddy fish but came up with nothing. we are also going to put an indoor decoration pump in the pond asap. could you guys give us some recomendations to what to do with the whole fish thingy?

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.31(Tue)16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slackra ,

I would personally continue with the idea of adding fish ( goldfish ) and a few attractive plants.Some choices in terms of goldfish would be Fantails ,Ryukins , Ranchu's.As for plants ,The ones you mentioned already sound fairly easy to look after.Other choices would be free floating plants like water fern(Azolla caroliniana) , water lettuce ( Pistia stratiotes).Shallow-water Bog or marsh plants umbrella plant ( Cyperus alternifolius ) , pickerel weed ( Pontederia cordata) .As you could see the choices are endless.As for filtration , there are many brands out there , so just shop around for a good deal.Make sure it is adequate for the setup you have running.I think your idea/project is a good one and with a little work and patience you shall have a great looking "homemade pond " on your hands.

ACE
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.31(Tue)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I only have like around anouther 2 hours of class time to work on it then its up to the next bunch of people who choose to build on it. 1 there is no filtration! its all natural like a hole in the ground with water, wood, carpet lining and some plants cept the hole is a bath tub.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: