Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what size tank for koi
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tadybird
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)22:01    Post subject: what size tank for koi Reply with quote

Hi there I need some advice. My mom has a pond and got 2 koi this year. Since fall is almost here she wants to bring them in and doesn't know what size tank. The fish are about 4 inches long and she wants to get a 15 gallon. These fish grew a lot in the 2 months she has had them and I am wondering if they keep growing every summer the 15 gallon won't do for very long. Should I tell her to get rid of the koi and get goldfish? Any opinion wiould be appreciated.
macfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger the better. Koi can get to be over a foot (30 cm) long or more. I would get at least a 55 gallon. They're only 4 in now, but they will get bigger, trust me on that.
laith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.29(Sun)3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

15g will not do for 2 koi, even if they're only 4 inches long.

I would recommend at least a 55g.

I'm not a koi expert but can't these live all year long in the pond? Even under a layer of ice?
tadybird
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.29(Sun)7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they can live all year long in a pond if it is big enough but my mom's isn't. It would freeze solid so it must be emptied.

Thanks for the input.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.29(Sun)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave the pump and filter running it won't freeze solid. The appartment building near my place in Montreal had goldfish all year round in the shallowest pond I ever saw. All the caretaker did was cover the poond with a plank of plywood and that was it. The snow on top created insulation and in the winter you don't want to feed the fish anyways because their metabolic rate drops so low they don't need to eat.
tadybird
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.29(Sun)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume she would remove all of the floating plants first and then cover the pond?
Thanks for the idea.
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.31(Tue)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping koi ( under 10 in ) you would need a tank anywhere from 50 - 125 gallons depending on how many of these juvenile koi you have .As for keeping them outside during the winter , you would have to make sure that enough oxygen is provided , covering the pond with some kind of plastic sheeting , hay , or other safe materials.You could also add a small pool heater if the room allows for it.Around the pond , keep any leaves or debris from entering the pond.

ACE
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: