Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
proper tank size
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.27(Fri)18:52    Post subject: proper tank size Reply with quote

hey, guys --

y'all have been such a great resource, I figured I'd float this buy y'all.

a friend of mine is rescueing two goldish from another friend -- they are about 8 inches minus tail. currently they are living in a 20 gallon tank -- not optimal, we imagine. she doesn't intend on getting any more fish, except maybe a catfish or two... what size tank do you think she needs?

thanks!!
jenn
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.27(Fri)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say, if she adds nothing she should be OK. Most coldwater catfishh get too big and tropical cats need warmer waters than you can provide since you have goldfish.

HTH
JennFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Huntress. I don't think she's going to listen to me and go with a 55 gallon... which is fine, but check out the setup she's going to buy... the stand makes me very nervous!!!

http://boston.craigslist.org/for/40574452.html

Thanks,
Jenn (who's on her way to the pet store for another cory!) Very Happy
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennfish ,

May I ask what kind of goldfish your friend is holding in a 20 gallon ? From the size you mentioned , it sounds like they are either comets or shubunkins ? These single tailed , fast swimmers need larger bodies of water to swim about and reach their true potential growth.If they are more of the fancy goldfish like orandas , loinheads , ranchu's you should be OK for the time being.Let us know what happens !

ACE
laith
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stand should be OK as it is supporting the entire length of the tank with that lighter piece of (wood?) under the bottom.

But I'm confused because that *is* a 55g tank but you say she won't buy one? Confused
JennFish
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update - my friend has decided to get a 29 gallon and will likely buy it new. I'm not sure what type of goldfish they are... Actually another mutual friend of ours bought two goldfish to feed to a turtle. The turtle never ate the fish (and my turtle friend subsequently never tried to feed her fish again) and they grew and grew and grew in the tank with the turtle. Turtle friend then moved the two fish into a 20 gallon and they just won't stop growing.

So first friend wants to give them a bigger and more appropriate home. Turtle friend just wants them to be happy and out of her kitchen.

My friend who's embarking on caring for these two fishies isn't even into the hobby at all -- just likes these two goldies. I'm hoping that she'll get into it a bit... at least enough to like my little fellas!!

JennFish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: