Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Restocking with New Tanganyika Cichlids
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)12:13    Post subject: Restocking with New Tanganyika Cichlids Reply with quote

I went to the store to purchase a group of brichardi, but the salesman there talked me into Lamprolgus Compressiceps instead. He said they were a very slow growing fish, and that the ones in the store ($9.99 a piece - same as the brichardis) were exceptionally large for the price. Having not seen them before, I took his advice because of the rare (at least to me) factor. I have enjoyed them, but after a month of being in their new tank, they are still incredibly shy. This makes viewing them (and taking their picture) very difficult. According to other sources, they grow to a maximum of 4 inches and will lay eggs in a flower pot, once paired. I'm hoping for a pair from this group of 4 juveniles. Currently, they are in a 20 gallon tank with coral substrate and dead coral decorations. They love that comb-shaped purple and white coral! Once a pair forms, the other two will be removed.

Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

great fish, I hope you get a pair out of them. Smile

Jane
Kribensis00
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool fish. I have N. brichardi myself, but I have always wanted the ones you have..they just don't carry them in the stores around here. Good luck with them!
RedDevil
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.19(Sat)6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking fish
Nice work Laughing Laughing Laughing
BoBzzz

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Cy! Yes they are indeed slow growing, I have friends who have bought juvenilles years ago that are still not full sized! The shyness is always a pain. They are slow to settlers usually taking a month or so but if they remain that way you should pick up a school of rainbows or if your willing to get a larger tank some Cypichromis sp. Good luck with the pairing! Smile Wink
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.24(Thu)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Bobzzz hit the nail on the head. First off good choice, Brichardi are not a very good community fish, as they get very aggressive when breeding. Also, a bigger tank down the line might be a good thing. Cyps will definitely help these guys come out more often, but they need a 3-4ft long tank. My Calvus (very closely related to comps) are not shy at all, I think mainly do to the fact that they have some open water swimmers letting them know everything is fine. Also, male Comps will get close to 6" in captivity, females max out at 4". And they will breed in a harem, so if you were lucky and got 2-3 females they could all be kept together in a big enough tank. Just something to think about. Wink
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.27(Sun)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Just to give an update, they're no longer nearly as shy as when I first purchased them. Right about the one month mark they started coming out of their caves when they saw me as opposed to going into them. They have grown a little, but only a little. They're on a really good water change routine, but not on a great diet routine. The diet problem is because of my schedule. They're getting fed about 5-9 times a week, where as normally with young fish I'd rather feed them 3 times daily. There is still zero agression between them. They're not in a community tank, nor will they be. Unless my set-up changes, they'll probably always only be in a species-only tank...and I'm prepared to give them a 55 gallon if they get big and breed for me. The more I keep fish the more I tend to go towards species-only tanks for breeding set-ups.

Ace, what do you mean by Cyps?

Or, to quote you...

"Cyps will definitely help these guys come out more often, but they need a 3-4ft long tank."

PostPosted: 2003.04.27(Sun)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not in a community tank, nor will they be.

Thats kind of sad really they are one of the best Tanganyikan Community fish available. check out this article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a_compressiceps.php

Ace, what do you mean by Cyps?

Or, to quote you...

"Cyps will definitely help these guys come out more often, but they need a 3-4ft long tank."[/quote]
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cyprichromis.php
ACE125
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.28(Mon)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Cyprichromis. They are an open water sardine type schooling fish. And the males have spectacular color. If you were to get a 55, they would go great together. Wink
Robert

PostPosted: 2003.05.15(Thu)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that by "sardine type" Ace125 meant that they look like sardines. They are, of course, cichlids. They're peaceful, active fish that are often used as dither fish in a Tanganyikan tank. The males are spectacularly colored - the females unfotunately are drab.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: