Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Canister filters in saltwater aquariums
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick Lutyk
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.22(Sun)13:18    Post subject: Canister filters in saltwater aquariums Reply with quote

Hi everyone, can you use a canister filter in a saltwater aquarium? I also herd that they can produce an excess of nitrates in the tank, is this true?
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.08.23(Mon)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use them, but not my favorite.
Some are difficult to clean, thus they usually end up being more of a trap for debris, which can sit there for weeks or months until it is removed manually.
This can certainly result in dissolved organic compounds.
Trickle filters and undergravels convert ammonia and nitrite to less harmful DOC's but do not remove them. In my opinion a better investment than a cannister would be a good protein skimmer, which actually removes dissolved organic compounds every time you dump the cup.
I think most experts would agree any marine system would benefit from a good skimmer.
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canister filters are unnecessary. Just get a good power filter and skimmer if you can afford them.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.13(Sat)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good remote option would be a simple algae scrubber or some type of refugium under the display tank with lots of macros (caulerpa sp.), with quality lighting and undisturbed live rock, deep sand bed etc.... IMHO this method, while seldom used, still holds much more promise for long term benefit to your animals than a cannister solution... benefits would include less nitrates and DOC's. If you get a cryptocaryon problem requiring meds, you can simply disconnect/circulate the refugium for a while until the parasites are dealt with in the fish tank and the meds are removed. 3 or 4 weeks should starve the cryptos in the refugium, then you can reconnect it to the display... food for thought.
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.17(Wed)23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I'm setting up a smaller tank and was going to use a Filstar XP1 on a 22 gal. Would something like an aquaclear and a protein skimmer be a better option? should I just use a skimmer coupled with the live rock? inhabitants will be 2 osc. clowns, and 2-3 skunk shrimp. I will have a few inches of sand and as much live rock as I can get my hands on. Lighting will either be 72 or 110 watts pc lighting using 5050 bulbs.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.11.20(Sat)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory that would be a better choice, and there are other choices that would work as well, depending on your bio load goals. Skimmers can be great but some brands are better so choose wisely and remember even the best skimmer will not guarantee long term success with live rock and corals.
There are even some who claim problems associated with over-skimming.
The basic issue is reef system vs. a fish tank with live rock.
You might consider maintaining a basic marine fish system for a year or two first. IMHO, many beginners in this forum have no idea what they are getting into when they talk about maintaining reef systems with live corals. They are simply not prepared for it financially or in experience; as a result they become frustrated when their system becomes coated with micros or hair and the animals start deteriorating. Eventually the tank ends up in a garage sale and the hobby loses an aquarist.
In a reef system, water quality, lighting and stability of the environment are more critical, so continue your research to avoid the pitfalls, starting with the size of your system.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: