Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
guppy breeding cycles
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it all depends on the normal lifespan of the particular species, as well as countless other variables...but to give you an idea...

The average betta will live for up to 3/4 years in an unheated, room temp tank (around 70F). They will achieve sexual maturity by age 7-8 month. Betta breeders often keep thier bettas at temps closer to 80F, especially as youngsters. These bettas will mature sexually at 3-5 months, and have a lifespan of about a year and a half to two years.
Jamie N
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.14(Sun)18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this topic is old, but I was out of town for the weekend. . .

I think guppies lifespans are very similar to the betta's lifespan that Sherry described. My male Endlers develop colors at 4/5 months at 78F.

And I know this is a bit off topic, but Sherry, what temp do you think is best for bettas? I've always thought 78/80. But you said they'd live 3/4 years in 70F and I wouldn't have thought to keep them that cold. Do you think their quality of life is just as good in 70 than in 78? Does living longer neccesarily denote a higher quality of life? (for fish, I mean Wink )
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.15(Mon)11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that the optimum temp for bettas is closer to 80F. At 70F they may live longer, but tend to be quite sluggish and show much less vigor. 80F may appear to shorten thier life span, but really, it's the other way around...70F is less natural for them, and increases thier life span to an unnatural length. Older bettas tend to be very prone to disease as well.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: