Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
guppy breeding cycles
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shauneen
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.18(Wed)15:46    Post subject: guppy breeding cycles Reply with quote

Question Question Question Hi There, Just wondering if anyone knows how long the breeding cycle between giving birth for guppies is. I had six babies about a week ago, lost three to an aggressive male, removed him from the small tank, and the remaining three seem to be doing fine. Momma is in the big tank again, but looks like she could already be pregnant again with the classic dark spot at the back, which was gone after she gave birth. Should I plan on more fry pretty soon. What is the time span if anyone knows. Thanks for your help. (Yes, I did look through the other forums and didn't find any information on cycle length for breeding)
mjrsea
Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.19(Thu)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my experience that female guppies are baby machines. After she has had her children she can become pregnant again within a week. Be ready, more kids are probably on the way.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.19(Thu)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

livebearers can hold sperm active from 3-6 months, so even if the male is not there she could still pop out babies for up to 6 months.
Ehsan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.20(Fri)3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four months after birth,my young guppies've had their own babies,I think most livebears mature at average of four months.
Crumbles
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.08(Mon)21:43    Post subject: Platy Holding Sperm Reply with quote

I had two platys, a male and a female and the male sadly died by getting under the filter. But two weeks after, I noticed the female was pregnant!! So yeah, it seems they definitely can hold sperm in for a while! Rolling Eyes
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.11.09(Tue)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gestation is roughly 35 days?? It's about a month, at any rate. So she more than likely is pregnant again. They pretty much just pop them out regularly.
Jamie N
Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.09(Tue)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry's right. Gestation is about a month. Guppys will give birth to many fry at once if they're older. A warmer tank speeds up the rate at which guppies grow (especially fry) but does shorten their lifespan. So you have a couple more weeks before the same fish gives birth again. But if you have multiple females gestating on different cycles you could have a constant influx of fry. You'll know the female is getting near the end of her gestation period when her torso begins to look boxy instead of slender.
Crumbles
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)14:03    Post subject: Temperature and Growth Reply with quote

Jamie N wrote:
A warmer tank speeds up the rate at which guppies grow (especially fry) but does shorten their lifespan.

I'm confused about this one! How does this work? Why would higher temperatures make them grow faster or even die earlier? Is this actually proven? Confused
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.11(Thu)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher temperature = higher metabolism = higher cell division rate (and other bodily functions too)

At least that's how I would imagine it could lead to a shorter life span
Crumbles
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.11.12(Fri)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH! That kinda makes sense now! Smile Any idea of the madnitude of the decrease in the lifespan of the fish relative to the increase in temperature?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: