Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
12 litre tank?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solomani
Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.16(Mon)22:21    Post subject: 12 litre tank? Reply with quote

I have a tiny 12 litre tank I bought as a gift for my daughters birthday (along with some goldfish). I have since upgraded to a "child safe" 30l tank for my daughters fish. I was thinking about using the 12l and making a mini FO marine tank.

Is this feasible? If so any recommendations on a marine fish small enough to enjoy a 12l tank?

Can I keep using the FW mechanical filter (hangs on the back)?

I assume I need to add a heater. Anything else? Do I need a skimmer or powerhead? Or can I get away with a major airstone to produce water movement? Should I replace the gravel with livesand? Can I skip live stone?

Or am I crazy for even thinking about it!?

Thanks in advance!
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.17(Tue)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible, BUT I wouldn't recomend any fish small enough for that sized tank. it would be nice with a piece of live rock and a mushroom coral and maybe a small invert like a shrimp. a hang on filter would be fine you could probably just put some small bits of live rock in thier like a mini sump or just keep a foam insert. live sand would be preferable to gavel, you will need a heater. heres a link has some nice pics of this guys girlfriends 3.5g nano you might be able to get an idea of what your going to need from thier tank http://www.geocities.com/psychocoralchopper/nanoreef.html . well good luck with it but I personally recomend somthing bigger for a FO tank.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
solomani
Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.17(Tue)5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks slacker. Very helpful.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.17(Tue)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I didn't crush your hopes. I hated when that happended to me when I was just learning! anyway good luck with it if you do set it up! also its SLACkra but you can call me andrew if you want

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: