Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my 7.5g nano cycling update *JOURNAL*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry, at this rate I should almost publish my tank journal as a book. the story of a nano reef. anyway the really small frag of zoos has opened now very short time after I added it. there a brown ouside purplish/brown middle and a whitish purple center. the leather has also extended some of its tenticles and they are brown with a light white/brown tip. very attractive. I will post pics asap. also my clowns are doing good and have matured into a nicer oragne colour other than the yellowish they were when I first got them.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.14(Fri)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

new coral today I traded some more of my macro aglae. a new red mushroom coral. hes a beauty. I will place him on the substrate bed. he comes on a little rock but I will cover the rock with teh substrate so it looks like its sitting on the substrate. anyway it will give my tank a nice hint of redness.

andrew
2 winged demons
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
I have noticed a weird thing to be happening to my tank it seem like bubbles of somthing are forming on my substrate then carrying my substrate to the surface of the tank

In case you still do not know what these are. They are oxygen bubbles most likely. bacteria in livesand/liverock take up nitrates and give off oxygen. denitification is an anerobic process, so these bacteria live in the deep pores of live rock and deep inside live sand where there is no oxgen.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are not a problem anymore. I believe this is because I got my skimmer working properly and my tank is micro bubble freeish. I still have small bubble pockets being formed under the substrate now and then.

my first zoo colony the only one I paid for has taken a turn for the worse. the majority of the colony isn't opening up. I recently fragged off the healthiest part of the colony and I hope it survives.

my other corals are doing great. my purple zoos have started to spread onto the dead peice of coral I placed the frag onto and the tenticles are developing a lime green tinge. the brown button polyps are getting bigger and their mass growth has been stoped which is a good thing, because of their separation from the rest of the live rock in the tank. the leather coral has grown a bit and is healthy going through a cycle of several days w/ open polyps then several days w/ closed polyps then it sheds a mucus lair then the polyps open up again.

the hitch hiker snail is still alive and I have mass amounts of small chitons on the back wall of my tank. the clowns are doing well and are starting to fiqure out whos dominant and I have a very good idea on whos going to become the female and whos staying the male.

got new light bulbs a couple weeks ago and the corals seem to like the new lights. I was exremely lazy and didn't get new lights for under a year. I baught 6 light bulbs so I am good for anouther 1 year if I change the bulbs every 6 months.

thats my update! ALSO very very good new. our internet plan is changing to unlimited downloads and increasing in speed so that means lots AND LOTS of photos in may!

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
I still have small bubble pockets being formed under the substrate now and then.

As long as the place where the bubbles form inder the surface is not black, it should not be a problem. I read that if the sand bed is deep, you may have pockets of no-oxygen which develop bacteria colony which produces H2S gas bubbles. The gravel turns black in these places. But since your aquarium seems to be doing great you probably do not have this problem. and bubbles are just nitrogen being produced by denitrifing bacteria.
robbyrob
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice thread man!!!

good luck on your tank!!

Rob
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.17(Sun)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK minor problems for me. my clown died. the other one is fine. he was the smaller one and also was developeing small patches of black under his head around the bottom fins. the other one is doing better and is larger.

also my computer went belly up virus spy ware death. messed up windows have to have it reinsalled ect ect. ALSO a hope for the future soon I hope to post some pics of my FW tank too. spend like 150 bucks on it in like 3 days! Rolling Eyes

cya

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Jump to: