Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my 7.5g nano cycling update *JOURNAL*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.02(Thu)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but the cool power would be insufficient on a nice 35'C day(welcome to aussie heat) so you would need the fridge set at the coldest setting possible (not bellow 0'C)and you would need to have the pump that pumps the water from the tank to the fridge and back set on a temp controller.

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.03(Fri)2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

its official my 32g is going to be turned into a salty. I am going to take the freshwater fish and plants to the lfs asap. then I will start ordering the stuff I will need. instead of throwing out the old gravel I am going to have a dsb or plenium with the gravel as the base and ontop of that a fine substrate not sure what though going to try to get some coral sand. each levels will be separated by a fine mesh(aquarium safe). going to order a shopfitter metal halide (150watt) plug in and go with 14k bulb. going to unsetup the 7.5g once slowly adding the clown then a week later the coral along with the skimmer and my hitchiker snail(couldn't leave him behind!) not tusing the old live rock majority of its infested with Calpera taxifolia and having that in your tank in victoria from febuary onwards carries a heafty fine! going to remove any obvious little critters then boil it and kill it all and use it as base rock for my new lr which I will get.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.09(Thu)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

my continous efforts of getting rid of calerpa taxifollia aren't going well. I am going to buy a peppermint shrimp soon and some more coral. noticed that I have a couple baby nuisence anemones so I will kill them soon.

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clownfish had died it jumped out of the tank some time last night Crying or Very sad . annoyly I found that I had got attached to the little guy and it came as a great shock to find him on teh floor. I didn't know it was possible for him to do that. but I blame myself for giving that small amount of room to jump. my tank is now unhabbited. tommorow I was going to get him a friend so I guess I will get two small ones and hopefully a shrimp.

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.10(Fri)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up two new false perculas. there both really cool. there both around 1" long so they should from a pair as they mature. its been a day now since I have had them and there already eating forumal 1 flake food eagerly. they are getting more adventurous and are swiming off from eachother unlike before where they were within 1-2" of eachother! also last night they did somthing odd. one of them rested on the bottom of the tank on the sub and the other one was nudging up agianst him and trying to sit next to him. I was a little worried so I got my pippet and shot some water agianst the glass making a flow that was hitting them. they were fine this morning.

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
True_Queen
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.28(Tue)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this thread! Keep up the good work. I really want a SW aquarium! Also, since I've never had a SW tank, are there things growing from the live rock?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of my live rock was ruddy and very low quality(it was the best I could get its sad Crying or Very sad ) but I found the most thing growing out of a rock is from a piece of rock I baught with some sea mat/zoathids on it. I actually found a small colony of small polyped stony coral on it. it would be recomended to get the best lr you can afford or buy some dead rock and put some really high quality live rock on it. also my new clowns are doing great too. the calerpa taxifolia is still there and I think I might have to do extremel mesures to get rid of it. going to try to get some more lr and do a switch.

andrew
2 winged demons
True_Queen
Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.30(Thu)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I buy live rock with nothing on it... will things eventually start growing on it? Like what exactly grows on live rock? Or do you have to buy the corals and anenomes seperate?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a small leather coral and I traded some calepra sp for a small frag of zoos. so my tank has more reefish look now. its a really small leather and I hope he grows cause he would be a nice focal point in the tank.

andrew
2 winged demons
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.02(Sun)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep this thread going Andrew...it is interesting reading.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: