Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my 7.5g nano cycling update *JOURNAL*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.10(Fri)20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested my water again and it was a bit lower than 10mg/l so I got my clown! he was expensive($42 aus! all the saltwater prices are high here!) but hes cool. I have had him for nearly 24hours now. I have offered him some food twice(pellets then bloodworms) which he ignored. if I don't get him eating in a day or so I am going to get some frozen or live brine shrimp though I think he might be eating the amthipods as they are abundant and probably quite easy to catch. he seems a bit skitish when I walk in the room so I taped some paper up agianst 2 sides of the tank so he can think hes alone though I cut a hole so I can check the temp and spy on him Very Happy .

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.14(Tue)22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the paper and he has ajusted nicely but dosen't accept much food. I have seen him eat a couple bloodworms and thats it. he seems to have a full stomach its not sucken so I guess hes hunting for his own food. I will continue to give him small amounts of bloodworms daily.

regards

SLACkra
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.18(Sat)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased some frozen mysis and he ate some of it. the lady at the shop said that he wouldn't eat it and that brine shrimp was best but I went with my mysis. the algae has slowed down on growth and I am now seeing some green growth on my glass. I have attacked the aspia with boiling water in a pipette and I am hoping that I was victorious and they will die.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.19(Sun)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey andrew. I was wondering what kind of a setup you have here. ie equipment etc. is 7.5 gal big enough for a clown. is that imperial or us gallons?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.20(Mon)4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tank is a 7.5g cube(12"x12"x12"). I think its 7.5g imperial. I use the times the dimentions then divide by 231 method to get volume. it should be enough for him as he is a false Percula and should only get 3-4 inches long. I have a 1.5 inch crushed quartz substrate and 2.3kg of live rock. I have a prism skimmer running on the tank which is somewhat over kill but its nice having good water quality. the skimmer also moves the water around and creates current. I have a small submersible heater that keeps the temp 22'C(summers coming). I hope that answers your question McP but if your just starting with saltwaters get something at least 29g or bigger because the more water you have the more stable the water conditions.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
Broodingwolf
Members

PostPosted: 2004.10.01(Fri)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting thread SLACkra -- keep writing!
20g long -- platy's new home -- in progress
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.02(Sat)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...anyway I recently discovered the masa forum(marine aquarium societies of australia) and I got a free frag with some brown zoos on it and then I baught a piece with some brown zoos with green centers. I am probably going to get some mushrooms too. I modified my lighting a bit using tin foil(hey its very reflective) and thumb nails and it was quite effective and cost me nothing. my clown has started eating though he only likes this formula 1 flake food. he gobbles it down. I have gotten the aptaisia/aspia/nuisenses under control only 2 more to kill and then the tanks good. I am squirting boiling water directly at them at extremely close range and it's effective. looking into add a 3g sump/refugium to increase water volume(thinking of getting flame halk or another clown) add some mechanical filtration and to hide some of the equitment. also looking into adding a 8watt antic flouro to make the tank more blue.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.02(Sat)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the numbers for making my diy lighting and it went a bit over $125 dollars aus so it wasn't cheap. if I was in north america I would have gotten retroifit pc lighting from ah supply.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.04(Mon)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just decided that the biggest problem in my tank is my white quartz sand. algae grows on it then bubbles are created then it floats to the top of the tank with the sand then drops sand all over my coral. I had to move my rocks around to get my zoos out of the way of falling sand. I don know what I am going to do about it but I might get a small pump to move the sand around to stop it from happening.

regards

andrew
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.22(Fri)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything is going well in the tank. the zoos are slowly growing and multiplying. I am in planning mode for a sump so I can get my clown a friend. I am also going to be getting some mushroom corals and more zoos to fill up the remaining spaces. the summer is starting soon and I already had a freakout when my tank went to 27'C. I ended up adding two handfuls of ice to bring it down to 25 though my clown and coral didn't seem to mind the heat. I will be posting some more updated pics soonish

cheers

andrew
2 winged demons
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: