Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10 Gallon 7 Goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balas4Me
Members

PostPosted: 2004.08.09(Mon)18:48    Post subject: 10 Gallon 7 Goldfish Reply with quote

5 Goldfish and 2 Fancy Goldfish with power filter and a bubble curtain.

This is not my tank. Came to Wisconsin to visit familiy they have this tank they also leave the light on 24/7 water is always cloudy.

What could the problems be?? I know just need some corrobaration cause they don't believe me thanks.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.08.09(Mon)21:08    Post subject: You can't tell 'em nothin' Reply with quote

Nope, A waste of your time, forget it, you can't tell 'em nothin'.

Yes, it is true, goldfish need 10 to 20 gallons of water per fish. Even the little books at Petco will say that, or they may say 30
square inches of surface area per body inch of fish at 70 degrees and increasing for every degree above that.

But, old folks are often set in their ways and when the fish die they will either replace them or not. I expect that one by one the fish will die, perhaps one or two will last, but the igh ammonia levels will do them in, they will sit on the bottom, getting sores and red streaked fins, until they just die. And it will be a mystery to the peoplw who crowded them so badly.

But, don't think that you can teach them how to care for the fish, they will just resent you. (I have somehow assumed old people here, if it is your ittle sister, then maybe you can help after all, but if it is Grandma, forget it.)
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.09(Mon)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an informational, non-judgemental comment like It's a pity that a goldfish that can live over 20 years can only survive a few months in a tank like this, isn't it? My experience with "fish-havers" is that many of them actually believe the typical lifespan of most fish is only a few months. When a fish dies after that they think it died of old age Mad
Caseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is possible to do this although I wouldn't recommend it. Last fall A buddy gave me his 8 goldfish out of his pond. They were about 4 inches then. The only tank I had available was a 10g so I but them in there for the winter. If this is the situation you have to be constantly cleaning the tank and filter which plugged up regularly. Goldfish are nature's poop machines. Definately don't over feed them and only feed once daily in this situation. This last spring I built a 500 gallon pond for them which they went nuts in all summer. I just bought a 45g tank and aquaclear 500 filter, so this winter should be better for them. It's strange how you can get so attached to them. A 10 gallon tank for this many fish isn't a good idea but if thats all you have then go for it! Just be prepared to do a lot of cleaning.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caseman, you may have managed it for a winter, but you couldn't maintain it for 20 years...the natural lifespan of a goldfish.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I was at a party and the hostess was commenting on the cat water bowl on the counter. Her cats got used to drinking water in that place because there was a goldfish bowl with two goldfish in there for 5 years. She said she never changed the water, only replenished it as the water level decreased due to the cats drinking out of it. Rolling Eyes

I just nicely told her that goldfish have very long lifespans, much more than 5 years. I have read that koi have been passed down from one generation to the next, and that they can live up to 100 years. 60 years is average. In Japan 70 year old koi are said to be common.

Goldfish are a big commitment, far more than a school of neon tetras. I would discourage people from getting these fish unless they are prepared to properly take care of them for many, many years.

~Haname
Caseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

SherryNE wrote:
Caseman, you may have managed it for a winter, but you couldn't maintain it for 20 years...the natural lifespan of a goldfish.

That's very true Sherri. I didn't have any intention in doing this. It was just that at the time I was stuck with only a 10g tank... only spare tank I had. The way I figure it, I saved those poor fishes lives... you should have seen the conditions they were living in before I got them Confused
Caseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

haname wrote:
I just nicely told her that goldfish have very long lifespans, much more than 5 years. I have read that koi have been passed down from one generation to the next, and that they can live up to 100 years. 60 years is average. In Japan 70 year old koi are said to be common.

Actually, in Japan the Koi are passed down from one generation to the next. I have read that the record is 7 generations and the Koi in question lived to be 265 years old! Mind blowing stuff!!
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.04(Sat)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koi living 265 years ? I don't think so , more myth than fact.Koi are long-lived fish if given all the right care throughout its complete life.Reports and tests have shown that on average they live about 40 years.Keep in mind though that feeding , breeding , housing and the right owner(s) play an important part in succeding with these fish.

ACE
Caseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACE wrote:
Koi living 265 years ? I don't think so , more myth than fact.Koi are long-lived fish if given all the right care throughout its complete life.Reports and tests have shown that on average they live about 40 years.Keep in mind though that feeding , breeding , housing and the right owner(s) play an important part in succeding with these fish.

ACE

Here is a link for the skepital:

Black Water creek koi farms

I was a bit off on the the age, it was 215 years not 265 as originally posted.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: