Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Garden: Java fern
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.09(Mon)4:53    Post subject: Garden: Java fern Reply with quote

Here is my suggestion:

I was just browsing the site, looking for anything new (great new species in the garden Smile ). I thought I might read up about the java fern again, see if it's a species I should keep, when I noticed the picture. Personally I havn't seen a Microsorium pteropus looking like the picture suggests.

By no means am I complaining Smile , but just suggesting whether anyone has a photograph they could contribute to show what the plant looks like in a more mature form, being that most java ferns I have seen on sale are of a more mature form than the one shown.

Thanks for reading, Phil Wink
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.09(Mon)5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right, that pic is of a very young specimen, actually the first-ever Java Fern I was able to find and purchase, about 7 years ago Wink

I've been meaning to replace that pic with a more representative one, showing a more mature plant...if anyone has a good pic I'll be glad to use it...
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.09(Mon)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use this one, http://personal.ironsind.com/7-7-2004/07-07-2004_16.JPG

If you want one without the algae and the gourami, let me know. I can get a picture to you tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.10(Tue)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL How come my java fern doesn't do that? It just spreads itself all over the tank with runners. One leaf here another there.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.10(Tue)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know. that's acutally a big bush attached to drift wood. it's really just plants growing on top of each other. I haven't even seen the rhizome in many months. hehe... I love that the shrimp live in there. Occasionally the a dojo will hide with just it's face poking out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.11(Wed)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a bush similar to Irons in my tanks. A guy also gave me 2 portions of narrow leaved java fern, and they are on a rhizome straight as a stick. I noticed that if you nick the rhizome, it will send a shoot out in that direction. Praps if you nick it enough over time, it will become a bush.

Not too sure how many of you read AFM but one of the issues talked of the different varieties of java fern(in Sunken Gardens Column)...normal, 2 kinds of narrow, and something in between. I think Iron's and my ferns(leaves not thick enough to be considered the normal type, not thin enough to be called narrow) were the "inbetween one". It was mentioned that it has been in the hobby for a thousand years(dunno where he got that) and some doubt it as actually M. pteropus.

Anyone else read this?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.12(Thu)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read AFM as well. I don't remeber the article. I think I do remember something here or on APD about there being several species or at least varieties of Java Fern.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.24(Tue)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... my wife sent me the wrong pictures. Here the links to 3 pictures of the right side of my tank. They are 1600x1200, feel free to post them edited, cropped, etc anywhere on your sites Marcos.

http://personal.ironsind.com/tanks/DSC03287.JPG
http://personal.ironsind.com/tanks/DSC03288.JPG
http://personal.ironsind.com/tanks/DSC03289.JPG
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.26(Thu)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.. got them. I have 1 big and 1 smaller.

http://personal.ironsind.com/tanks/30_new/java_fern_08-24-2004_big.jpg
http://personal.ironsind.com/tanks/30_new/java_fern_08-24-2004_sm.jpg

Let me know if those work for you Marcos.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.26(Thu)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Irons...thanks!
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: