Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Done] Xiphophorus montezumae
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.03(Tue)11:51    Post subject: [Done] Xiphophorus montezumae Reply with quote

Dunno which one to use. One is clearer, but the other demonstrates the length of the sword much better. I really wish that the dorsal fin would photograph better. It is actually opaque in some areas to make the black spots stand out more. Also, the male above is a representative of a population/strain known as ivory,which were collected from the Rio Gallinas. which sports that black patterning on the side. The dorsal pattern also varies from population to population, as does size....which again I'm not sure if it should be mentioned

Common Name: Montezumae swordtail

sci name: xiphophorus montezumae

minimum tank size: 30 gallon

max size: 4 in

temp. 65-78 degrees. Best kept cool.

pH. around 7.0-8.0

dh unknown, presumably likes hard water

origin: Southern Mexico
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.04(Wed)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice Noname. I like the first pic better because it shows both male and female, and calls attention to the male's awesome swordtail. This will definitely become a new page in the Gallery as soon as I'm ready to start expanding that section again. Your estimation of the adult size is a little high though, the typical size for this species is about 5-6 cm (you shouldn't include the tail length in the measurement).
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.04(Wed)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a ruler with me as of now, but I believe the male shown is at least 2 1/2 inches not including the sword(I think it is probably 3). I've seen pics(and the guy who sent me these kept them) of montezumae swordtails that reach over 4 inches(and totalled above 8 with the sword). They were quite skittish and shy so he eventually sold them in favor of these ones.

I'm not sure if we are talking of the same species either. I found an interesting error in the book "Exotic Tropical fishes Expanded Edition" in which the max size was 5cm and the fish was said to"Barely deserve the name swordtail, with a "sword" even shorter than that on many platy swordtail hybrids."

No picture was included, flip side had a pictures labeled xiphophorus cortezi and Gambusia panuco(if I recall correctly). Funny thing is, is that this book also described X. pygmaeus quite similarly, so maybe the editor/authors made a mistake.
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: