Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
snowflake eel
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have those fish in a 30 gall? if so you need to get rid of some definitly.

snowflake eels can do good in a 30 but pretty much by it self they do get up to 2' in the aquarium at the most in the wild they get up to 40 inches in length

lions and eels are compatable but you need a bigger tank. also the lion if a dwarf can go in a 30 but then again it would be your only fish in the tank having both the lion and the eel is to much. if it is someting like a volitan lion it needs a minimum of a 55 gall tank they can get a foot to a foot and a half long
depending on species of dwarf lion you have they get 6-8" and those can go in your 30

the yellow tang I wouldnt push anything under a 55 for it. some of the smaller tangs do well in a 55 most of the tangs which are bigger need a min of 75 gall. they are big swimmers and just one tang requires at least 4 ft of swimming space

the damsels again would live in the tank but if left with either the eel or lion which ever you decide will become lunch. they are both predators and small fish like that won't last long especially when they get some size to them.

and the huma huma trigger should be put in a 75-100 gallon tank at full size to keep it happy

if you decide on keeping the snowflake I would try the live ghost shrimp then if he eats that start mixing frozen foods then slowly ween him off of the live. add a little more frozen less live that way. try squid it has a more potent odor and can induce appetite also some people have luck putting a piece of food on a stick of some sort and waving it around in the water to make the eel or lion think its alive. if it takes to that then also try shrimp, prawns, or clam

get your test kits you need them ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and alkalinity are the main ones. a decent kit is by aquarium pharmacuticles you can get the master test kit. its a liquid test kit, very easy to use and probably one of the more affordable kits you can pick up. thats the one I use and have had no problems. if you can't afford one right away most lfs will test water for you for free or a small donation even if that its worth it

heres a good site for you to check out

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm
tyler

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks about that I wasnt thinking at the time I was buying all those fish they looked cool so I bought them. when I started coming to this site I started learning a lot more things. I tried taking back the fish today but they fish store was closed. I don't think that they will die they are all back in the tank and doing allright for a couple days should I just leave three damsels in the tank?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.30(Sun)4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might have a really hard time catching the damsels most people do some the only way they get them is tear the tank apart so thats up to you if you want to keep them or even try to catch them. but then again you might catch them easy. maby if you keep your eel (if thats what your keeping) well fed your damsels may have a chance. if you take back the other fish the store should give you credit I would use that to get your test kit it should pay for it especially with the fish you have. that would be a good oportunity to grab them especailly if you don't have the xtra cash
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you are going to take the fish back. It really is the right move. Good luck with your tank!!
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.06(Sun)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as testing I say its a good idea especially if you go with corals. you need that stable pH, alk, and calcium to maintain them. for the last post I really hope your friend isnt feeding the eel feeders as its main diet. over time it could kill the eel. feeding freshwater fish to sw fish causes liver disease in them, this is where a lot of people make the mistake with fish like lions and eels.
Gargamel76

PostPosted: 2003.04.25(Fri)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read anything in this post about feeding feeder fish to marine animals but it was proven that it can and will eventualy cause liver problems and eventualy kill your fish.I had a snow flake for a number of years and he loved silver sides,mysis shrimp,clams and squid and initialy I used a piece of airline tubing with a tooth pick in the end and I would wiggle it in front of him like a wounded animal.it took a few days but after that as soon as I would dump the food in the water he would shoot out and and go nuts trying to eat..good luck
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: