Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
snowflake eel
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler

PostPosted: 2003.03.22(Sat)11:00    Post subject: snowflake eel Reply with quote

I have had a snowflake eel for about 3 weeks yet and it hasn't ate yet I bought a loin fish yesterday and when I put it in the tank it went down to the rocks were the eel is a nd the eel started attacking the loin fish is this normal?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you feeding the snowflake?
tyler

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to feed the snowflake eel brine shrimp or some thing like that the fish store gave it to me and told me that you could hand feed it too. and it hastn ate for 3 weeks and I read today that you never hand feed the snowflake that pissed me off to top it off I woke up this morning and my lion fish was dead mostly pissed off caues the fish store sold it too me and they probably knew that it was going to die.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the eel right now?

Have you tried all the types of worms?
Apparently eels also enjoy eating earthworms. Nothing to lose.... Smile Wink
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)0:36    Post subject: try some feeder fish Reply with quote

most species of eel taste the water for food. and from what I hear feeder fish make good meals aslong as there proper sized one. I am not sure but I think a good way of making your moray eat would be before adding the feeder fish give it a little ingery. even though this sounds cruel most hunter like morays eat sick injured fish. I hope this is correct so if I am wrong please correct me.
2 winged demons

Last edited by SLACkra on 2003.03.24(Mon)13:11; edited 1 time in total
tyler

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you didn't read over it carefully I have a snowflake eel. I thought about digging some earthworms from the ground do you think it madders where the worms come from and the eel is about 7 inchs long. do they lose there color a little when they don't eat. cause I noticed that the yellow on its eyes and on the body was g oing away and I was doing a lot of reading and it said to feed them at night and never by hand and the next morning it was bright yellow again I am sure that is a good sign. do any of you people know why my lion fish died I have had a set up for about 5 months now was the water just not ready for it. I kinda thought that the snowflake killed it too cause I saw it attacking it a couple times
Pandora
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler, please give us more info about its setup... tank size, how long it's been set up for, etc. Do standard tests for ammonia and nitrite if you haven't done so already. Usually when fish don't eat it is out of stress, often from water quality conditions, it's not an arbitrary behavior. Also, ask the pet store what they were feeding it before you got it, or if they even had it long enough in the store to have fed it once. For the future, when you buy SW fish, a good idea is to get the store to prove that they are eating by feeding them before they are caught; most stores do this as a standard anyway, since some of the wild-caught younger specimens can suffer from undue stress and may not recover. If this is a small specimen, try feeding live brine shrimp (not as part of a regular diet, just to test for appetite).

http://www.fishpalace.org/
tyler

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for writing back my tank is a 30 gallon tank and I have had it set up sence christmas I have never done any kind of testing for nitrate or the other one the only test I have done is the salinity, my parents bought me the set up and I havent really done any thing else. that test is expensive I should have bought it but they fish are just to pretty but now that one died I know that I shoudlnt do that any more, and I know that I don't have they right kind of lighting either. its like a reptile light but once again I didn't have the money to buy the right lighting I have 3 damsels a yellow tank and a huma huma trigger. they are all doing fine though. oh and I lifted up my lid today and notices some rust thats not good either? do you think the snowflake could have killed an loin fish?
helenjc
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.26(Wed)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I do not know anything about snowflake eels or lionfish so I cannot give much advice.

But upon looking at your response, there are some other things that also need to be taken care of.

First off, if you are going to own a tank, you will need to buy some testing kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Otherwise, you should get your water tested regularly. I will assume that you already have a hydrometer to measure salinity.

You mentioned you have a 30 gallon tank, with an eel, lionfish, 3 damsels, one yellow tang, and a trigger. That is way too many fish for a 30 gallon. With a 30 gallon you should only have about five or so small sized fish at max. I am not an expert, but I am sure that the tang and the trigger are both much too big for a thirty gallon. They may look like they are doing well, but you are definately not providing a environment in which they will thrive. Imagine that you were forced to live only in a small closet. You could probably survive for quite some time, but you definately wouldn't be happy or healthy.

For the health of your fish, you should read up on each fish before you decide to purhcase them. Your main concern should be compatibility with the other fish, the minimum size tank that they need for it to thrive, what type of food that they eat, behavior, and they type of environment that they need. Some fish are shy, and like to have a lot of hiding places. In that case you will need some live rock to provide shelter. Some fish like to burrow in the sand, in that case you should provide them with proper substrate. Also you will want to check the rate of survival. Some fish simply do not fare well in captivity. These you will want to avoid.

Also the lighting is another issue. If you plan to only keep fish, and not corals, lighting should not be that expensive. I don't know much about reptile lights, but I am doubting that they are safe for saltwater use. You should look into purchasing something a bit more appropriate.

Owning saltwater fish is quite a responsibility. It is totally different from owning a bowl and a goldfish. Keeping saltwater fish takes knowledge and care. It is great that you came to this site to learn more. Maybe you can get your parents to buy you a book or two on keeping saltwater fish, or you can always go online and find a lot of info for free!! Always be sure to research before you purchase anything. This will not only save you money but will also save the lives of your fish.
Pandora
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

helen may not know much about your particular fish, but she wrote all good information I think you need to take heed to. Following up on my original guess, I now all the more believe that this isn't a case of just "fish just won't eat for no reason". The reason here is a matter of overcrowding and water quality. It may be too late for this fish, but please, please read more about SW care (some links are right here); you have way too many fish in too small a tank, and your nutrient levels must be through the roof; this is the reason the water quality is probably going downhill and causing your eel to not eat. I would take it back to the store, along with at least half of the fish in the tank, and essentially "start over again".

http://www.fishpalace.org/
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: