Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Done] Neolamprologus multifasciatus
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.30(Fri)22:10    Post subject: [Done] Neolamprologus multifasciatus Reply with quote

http://members.cox.net/eciupak/cichlids/maleguardingfemale.JPG

Common name: Multi
Scientific name: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Minimum tank size: 10 gallon
Temperature: 78-80F
Size: males 1.5-2

Last edited by FishAddict85 on 2005.03.04(Fri)11:24; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kideafish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these your fish or pics from another tank , as they are beautiful fish

Loving my waterbabies ! Are you ?
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kideafish wrote:
Are these your fish or pics from another tank , as they are beautiful fish

These are my wildcaught multies...yeah. Wink

Unfortunally the female you see died like a week ago. I think the male killed her since she was all torn up. Water was fine, and it was out of the ordinary...meaning there was no sign that she was sick or getting old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos, very nice text! I wish everyone who contributed made things that easy for me! Wink

I'm beginning to work on converting the gallery section into the new site layout and as soon as that's done (500+ pages!) I'll start adding new species.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.03(Tue)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
Very nice photos, very nice text! I wish everyone who contributed made things that easy for me! Wink

I'm beginning to work on converting the gallery section into the new site layout and as soon as that's done (500+ pages!) I'll start adding new species.

No problem. Smile I finished fixing some small errors I saw and now I think it's done.

EDIT! The male jumped the tank 8/27/04 during the night. I guess the storms really freaked him out... I found him lying on the floor behind the tank. Crying or Very sad
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.02.25(Fri)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.02.25(Fri)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to nitpick just one small part of this otherwise lovely profile:

Quote:
These little fish love to dig; and you should do your best to prevent disturbing their home since it stresses them out.

While multis put on sand or smallish gravel certainly will dig up a storm, that doesn't mean they love it - after all, I do laundry quite often, but it's not because I enjoy it! Indeed, there's good evidence to suggest that the excessive digging multis do, often removing all of the substrate from around a chosen shell, is more likely proof that they don't want the sand there.

In the wild, multis live on shellpiles, often as much as twenty feet deep. There's no substrate of any kind available, other than mud-caked algae growing between the shells, and this model (maybe without the mud Wink) is what we should encourage people to replicate in home aquaria: as you said, as many shells as possible, ideally dozens (I strongly recommend escargot shells, personally: cheap, available, and the safest shape, with a round opening and loose coils). Substrate should be minimal or even non-existant; instead, layering the shellpiles on top of slate or a siliconed single layer of sand on the bottom of the tank keep the bare glass from spooking the fish or uglifying the tank without forcing the multis to dig, dig, dig everything away from their shells to get what they really want.

Thanks for considering this change! Smile
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.04(Fri)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editted Smile
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.16(Sat)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. That larger pic you linked to is pretty impressive, considering how small these fish are. Thanks!
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: