Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
WARNING for people making DIY CO2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aleks
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

woweee!!
geeze! I didn't know that disinfection was included in using/making DIY CO2 bottle but I will definitely do that with my next mixing...not the way manda_xox experienced though...anyway, thanks manda_xox for sharing your experience with us,,,such a valuable learning...I normally just rinse 100 times my bottle before using ( I've done 5 so far ) (OK, 100 x may be a big joke but really several times and never used any chemical for cleaning before using them)

question: how long is it before one starts disinfecting the bottle? if it's dependent on the formula mine is 2 cups sugar 1 tspn yeast for 2L bottle. also, what kind of bacteria are we killing here?

TIA
pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.27(Mon)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 liter pop bottles are not built to stand 100 degrees celcius of boiling water. thats a problem that I encountered too. my pop bottle was deformed when I poured boiling water to disinfect it. it looks awful when I found its head pointing 65 degrees diagonally. since then I started to rinse it thoroughly and I havent seen any problem at all.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.02(Sat)4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a wild thought... if we use a rubber 'cork' like the kind used in laboratories... and drill a hole in the center and use that with rigid tubing... wouldn't the 'cork' pop if the pressure build up is too high - instead of the bottle blowing up?
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.02(Sat)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

rijac thats crazy. so crazy it just might work. jj. off to the chem lab!
pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.03(Sun)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a good idea rijac. the cork stopper might pop up if preasure builds up in the bottle. but the question is... would silicone work on it? hmmmnz... got to go buy champagne.
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.04(Mon)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

pating wrote:
that sounds like a good idea rijac. the cork stopper might pop up if preasure builds up in the bottle. but the question is... would silicone work on it? hmmmnz... got to go buy champagne.

well if you use a rubber stopper and drill a holl that is smaller than the circimfrence of the rigid tubing... and force it through, it don't need to be sealed with silicon right? I will give it a try when I can find time to work on my tank... and let you know...
pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.05(Tue)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoretically speaking rijac, yes. and the cork stopper have longer space to squeez the tube. let's go experiment with it if it will pop up. or somebody out there already have done it...? anybody?
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.11.01(Mon)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

pating wrote:
theoretically speaking rijac, yes. and the cork stopper have longer space to squeez the tube. let's go experiment with it if it will pop up. or somebody out there already have done it...? anybody?

seee here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=14685&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10&sid=2ffca53f231b77b2c4d2b7f13d165d9b

read golfnuts post - successful use of rubber stopper so the concept works... now we just have to see if the rubber will pop out if theres too much gas! Laughing
Chaffe
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.03(Thu)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissolve sodium metabisulphate in water and rinse your bottles. This gives of sulphur dioxide gas which sterilises the bottle. Don't smell the bottle when doing this as SO2 is an irrritant. Empty the bottle quick rinse and you are good to go. This method is better than using diluted bleach as a small amount of residue will not kill the yeast, unlike with bleach, where you must remove every last trace of bleach to prevent your fermentation stalling.

Sodium metabisulphate is available from anywhere that stock home brewing supplies.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: