Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
WARNING for people making DIY CO2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manda_xox
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.30(Fri)19:41    Post subject: WARNING for people making DIY CO2 Reply with quote

I read an article that was reffered to here on this forum about DIY CO2. in the article the author suggested disinfecting the pop bottle and sugar with boiling water... just a warning before you do do this: let the water cool down a bit before pouring it into the bottle. I just did this with scalding hot boiling water and it actually warped the bottle which is now leaking and useless. Although getting rid of any bacteria is useful for the yeast colonies, it is not very good for the plastic bottle!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)9:45    Post subject: cooked yeast Reply with quote

I tried that also, and although I let the water cool to 100 degrees (by thermometer, before adding the yeast, it must ahve been hotter in some part of the bottle for the yeast simply died.

I decided that sterilizing was not necessary. If this was wine or beer that I was going to consume, I'd sterilize it, but I don't think it important for making CO2.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never sterilzed and usually don't even wash the pop bottle. I'm not consuming the liquid. It is only being disposed of after a week or two.

Should I be making something to drink, then I would sterlize and not use plastic to ferment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the article you read was probably called 'A treatise on DIY CO2' or something similar. I have recommended it to many people too. It is an excellent article but the recommendation to sterilize plastic bottles with boiling water is seriously misleading, as you, and I, have found out.
It just shows that even the best sources must be treated with a grain of salt.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, folks. There was a period of several weeks when I had trouble with my DIY CO2 generators. I'd mix up a batch and they'd fizz for a few hours and then go flat. I racked my brain trying to figure out what it was going on, and someone suggested that there might be some bacterial overgrowth in the bottle that was outcompeting the yeast or perhaps killing it outright. So I decided to heat some water to simmering and wash out the pop bottle, remix the generator, and sure enough I had sustained CO2 output again. The references to drinking give me a chuckle, though. I think all of us are wise enough to know that none of this is meant for consumption. At least I hope we all are! Very Happy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a dilute bleach rinse would do the trick as well.

~Haname
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.07.31(Sat)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I must correct myself: I did use a 1:20 bleach solution. This was well over a year ago, so I'd forgotten. But I think I'd deemed pouring boiling water into a thin plastic container too dangerous to attempt...
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.02(Mon)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Mandy, I did the same thign as you except I was concentrating so hard on pouring this red hot water in that I didn't see it melting OUT of my bottle at the bottom until it started warping everywhere and it moved. I think the idea for its is to kill off any bacteria colonies that may be there already. My co2 bottles are heated in a warm water, warm water + sugar = good breeding conditions for ANY bacteria, you don't want to be injecting ecoli gas!
manda_xox
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.02(Mon)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol you should see my bottle it doesn't even look like a pop bottle anymore. I was getting my brother to hold the bottle and using a funnel *bad idea* the water displaced air, which came bubbling out of the funnel splattering boiling water everywhere... if we hadn't stopped then I'm sure I wouldnt have come out without serious scars!
rijac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.05(Sun)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps using a mineral or distilled water bottle will negate the need to wash/sterilize/bleach....

Idea

Very Happy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: