Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20 G Occupants
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.21(Fri)20:11    Post subject: 20 G Occupants Reply with quote

Laughing Very Happy Wink I think I may have started something...one of my friends just bought a 20 G, which she hasn't seen yet and isn't sure if it is a 20 'show' or 'long'. She is interested in keeping goldies or mollies in her new tank. I have started compiling research because I know more than she does about fish (She was keeping 4 neons in a 3G square with 2 glowlights, 2 common golds and another small fish at her room temperature of 18C, never cleaned the tank, and overfed dramatically when she did feed them, and she wasn't exactly sure what a stand was), but I was wondering what everyone thought of her plan. She came up with this completely herself:

5 golds OR 8 (black, not sailfin) mollies

Neutral I changed it to a (max) 2 goldies OR 4 mollies

I have suggested, or more likely, pounded it into her skull, Laughing that she must have good filtration. I suggested the following setup for her tank, equipment-wise.

Aqua-Clear 200 (esp. if golds Confused )
(if mollies, mollies need ~27*C?) 100 W heater

Told her gravel's not the best for golds, but she's already got it. She must be excited! Laughing Like I wasn't...... Very Happy
She's probably not going to do much cleaning, so I wanted her to understock, but she wants more than one gold. Neutral
Not exactly sure what to do in this situation...at least I convinced her not to get the pihranah! Neutral

So what do you guys think of this?
brandon

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of all the things listed down there I would go w/ the pirahna Very Happy mollies are a pain in the butt and regular comet goldfish need more room than that. I had a 7" goldfish in a 20 gal long and he got freaked out and was bouncing of the sides of the aquarium and eventauly killed himself Sad
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way she can get the pihranah because she has children running around her house. They put their hands in everything, and simply can't be stopped. That a good thing? Laughing
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

She might get away with 2 goldies for a while.

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no way she can get the pihranah because she has children running around her house. They put their hands in everything, and simply can't be stopped. That a good thing?

Depends on what kind of kids she has! lol J/k

When I was 8-9 my parents had pirahna's. I was terrified of them. Maybe a good documentary on them would cure any curiosity the kids had towards "petting" the fish.
SkinZ

PostPosted: 2003.03.27(Thu)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a piranha really fin in a 20g??? if so don't they prefer a few friends??? I don't know much about them but am curious about them(arent we all at one stage), and besides I have a 3 year old that could do with a little lesson in curiousity chewed the cats paw off Razz

SkinZ
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.28(Fri)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piranahs (still sp? lol) do best in large groups, so a big tank is needed. How would you feel all alone for months in a closet? You could live, but you wouldn't like it. Physically, I think there is enough space for them, but with only one.......
brandon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

arent goldfish happier in groups as well, and don't they need huge tanks? the one I had was very lonely and was never active since I couldnt fit another one in w/ him. on the other hand I have a piranha in a 20 gallon along w/ a bristle nose pleco, who is doing just fine and is pretty happy.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.03(Thu)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both species in discussion are group fish; solitary life is not the best for them.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: