Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Predators
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlleyCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.21(Fri)16:02    Post subject: Predators Reply with quote

It's almost time to free the koi back into the outdoor pond! Anyone have any favorite ways to keep Raccon's out of the pond at night? I'm considering tieing up the neighbors pooch to the tree beside it, as the dog seems to love to hear his own voice, but somehow I think I may hit a few snags. Last years motion sensor lights worked OK until the coons found out it didn't hurt them.
So I'm open to suggestions.

A.C.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.21(Fri)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nets that cover the pond work well..also, you could try putting food out for them away from the pond.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

SherryNE wrote:
you could try putting food out for them away from the pond.

I disagree with putting food out for the Racoons, If you do it once, they will be back day after day looking for more. You will just create a pest problem by feeding them. They will return to the same spot everynight looking for food if you provide it once.

I have had problems with racoons before, you can try to give your fish extra protection by building a sort of rock cave under the water that way the fish can hide, also you could set up motion detecting spot lights around the pond, that way when the coons come by they get scared by the light. Nets work, but are often unsightly and can be rather annoying to set up and take down, especially if you have trees that loose their leaves in the fall around. You could also just shoot the coons, if you know they come up to your house every night, just shoot them. (although this is probably illegal where most people are, it could work). You could also try to catch them yourself with some bait, (fish usually work) by setting up metal traps around your yard. This could be done by yourself or by hiring a professional trapper. But remember once you catch the coons, what will you do with them?

I would recommend trying to give the fish cover before dealing with the coons.
AlleyCat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I tried nets, and they worked until a coon became caught in one. They sure can wake you up in a hurry! So I'm not going to go in that direction again as that experience was nightmarish.
I agree with wormo that the coons would come back looking for more and eventually end up in the pond anyway. But shooting them is out of the question.
So I've decided to spend a little more time and effort and dig the pond another 2 feet deeper so they will be able to escape the marauders. I think if I loose another koi though, I'm looking at going to the target range to practice my aim.

A.C.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you try, remember that they are smart, and eventually will figure it out. For instance, the light thing will work...for a while. Music or a recording of a dog will work for a while, sprinkling fox or cat urine will work for while..but nothing works forever for a determined, hungry raccoon.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you live and what the laws are but you could try to shoot them or capture them and have them removed from the property, thus you won't have to worry about protecting the fish, you just have to get the removed and thats it. That will prevent them from coming back
MyFishAu
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.29(Sat)3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could install mesh over the pond, fine so they can't stick their hands in to grab the fish, but heavy-duty so that the raccoons can't chew threw it or bend it if they walked on it. You could put the mesh just under the water's surface so you can't see it, and if you use green mesh it is almost invisible. Doesn't stand out like unpainted stuff would, so it won't take away the look of your fish.

Wow! Fancy having raccoons in your yard. I bet they are cute.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.29(Sat)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the net will be "invisible" it can cause problems for you when you are trying to feed your fish, as well as when you are trying clean the pond itself. You would be much easier to just find a way of keeping your pond open and preventing the racoons from getting to it. The net would just be to much of a hassel.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.29(Sat)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah...since coons are smart, they will amuse themselves by settign off the lights on the motion detector.

Probably best to provide mroe cover. PVC pipes I nhte dep end work well, as do thickets of plants.
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.29(Sat)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the coons are busy playing around in the lights then they won't have time to eat your fish. But it seems to be agreed that the best way is to provide cover for the fish.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: