Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Milky water
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.27(Tue)8:30    Post subject: Milky water Reply with quote

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I've had my tank many months now so I've done quite a few water changes. I went to go through the routine yesterday, but the water I made, distilled water mixed with instant ocean, turned milky. I haven't used the buckets for anything else, however it was a new bucket of salt. Suffice to say I did not add it to my tank. Any thoughts?[/img]
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.29(Thu)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK it sounds like the water goes milky after you put the salt in. thats just the salt starting to mix with the water. dose it eventualy go clear? also after you add the salt do you test to find out the salitiy level? little more info could help!
2 winged demons
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.09.23(Thu)6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you let your buckets sit for at least a day? its best to do this so the waters well circulated before adding to a tank. its not good to add immediatly because you can actually burn your fish and corals with fresh salt.
HermeJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.26(Sun)22:54    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I had let the water sit a few days in the buckets with the salt with no improvement. And I'd tried more than 1 bucket. I actually called up Aquarium Systems and they replaced the bucket for me.
FloridaBoy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.10.04(Mon)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you may be seeing a chemical reaction related to the distilled water. You might try mixing a small batch with water straight from the tap and see if you get the same results. It is not necessary to use distilled water for your FOWLR system. Obviously, tap water quality varies from one locality to the next. In some ways, tap water may be worse (phosphates) and in some ways it may be better (trace elements). From what I understand, some salt mixes are made for tap water, others for RO/distilled... some swear by it and insist using distilled (pure), but it is quite different from tap water and lacks some things your fish need and you may need to add buffers even after you add the salt. Try testing the pH of your salt mix... I can tell you in all my experience I have never used distilled water in a marine fish system.
Here is more info:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=25

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rofaqs.htm
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: