Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
major oops
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redearsrock
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.25(Sun)16:03    Post subject: major oops Reply with quote

we have a 500g pond outside w/5 inch long gold fish, 2 3-4 inch ones and a 5 inch coi. me and my brothers went to a nearby stream to catch lots of minnows, and succeded. we brought home about 15 large, 11/2 inch ones. about 20-25 smaller than inch long ones and a bunch of tiny ones. on the way home all the tiny ones died. then we showed our parents and our dad said that they were tadpoles! we then put all the live ones in the pond thinking we would have a bunch of frogs in a couple months! BAD NEWS! they just had a boom of babies, meaning that they arent tadpoles and actully are minnows. propaly trout. now instead of having goldfish, a coi and a bunch of frogs, weve got about a hundred trout w/ our goldfish and coi. see my problem? any opinions would be great.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.25(Sun)20:34    Post subject: Fat goldfish Reply with quote

I predict that the goldfsih will get very fat feasting on the babies.

I once had frog eggs in the pond, I estimated something like 500 tadpoles, they were everywhere. My goldfish got very fat. Only had about 30 frogs come of it.
redearsrock
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.26(Mon)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, so the goldfish will eat the babies?

thats great, I didn't want a uncontrollable baby boom
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.26(Mon)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem when removing wildlife from native rivers. You never know what you are going to get. Whatever you do if you get any adults out of the babies do not re-release them. You can cause major ecological problems. Are they minnows or are they trout. One gets much larger than the other.
redearsrock
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.26(Mon)11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought minnows were small fish, I don't know, there were some 4-5 inch kinds of the same fish whitch made me think it was a trout
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: