Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bacteria in the Bottle
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Kapenta Kid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.23(Fri)10:15    Post subject: Bacteria in the Bottle Reply with quote

Choice Words wrote:
Adding chemicals that claim to help your tank will never result in a "naturally balanced" aquarium. The VAST majority of them are snake oils.

This quote is from the 'simple beginner's question' thread in this forum.

I tend to agree with Choice Words, but I'd like to relate my own experience with "bacteria in the bottle'.
When I started my first tank(120L. 31 USG fresh water) not so long ago, the LFS who I bought it from told me to dose it for a week with Denitrol, a JBL bug in the bottle product sold in Europe.
After one week I introduced fish. The LFS owner told me I could put in about 20 little ones. Ths seemed far too many according to what I had read on the Net boards like this one where I had been trying to educate myself. However, I took his advice. This LFS is a small family owned business, not a big chain with anonymous sales clerks, so the owner could expect serious adverse reaction if he had told me a lot of nonsense.
I stocked the tank with 10 cardinal tetras, four juvenile corys, and six adult platys.
Two weeks later, when the water chemistry had pretty much normalized the mortality bill was three dead cardinals and two dead platys. There were no subsequent deaths. I considered the three dead cards about normal from what I had read of the tendency of these fish to die on you within a few days of adding them to the tank, but that if they survive this initial stress they become hardy. I also discovered one of the missing platys on the floor, he had jumped out of the tank.
What I have not mentioned is that I planted the tank heavily with nutrient-hungry plants like watersprite as soon as I put the water in.
From what I have subsequently learned, it may be that the plants played an important role in denitrifying the water, but I am still not totally convinced that the Denitrol did not help.
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.26(Sun)6:42    Post subject: Re: Bacteria in the Bottle Reply with quote

The Kapenta Kid wrote:
Choice Words wrote:
Adding chemicals that claim to help your tank will never result in a "naturally balanced" aquarium. The VAST majority of them are snake oils.

This quote is from the 'simple beginner's question' thread in this forum.

I tend to agree with Choice Words, but I'd like to relate my own experience with "bacteria in the bottle'.
When I started my first tank(120L. 31 USG fresh water) not so long ago, the LFS who I bought it from told me to dose it for a week with Denitrol, a JBL bug in the bottle product sold in Europe.
After one week I introduced fish. The LFS owner told me I could put in about 20 little ones. Ths seemed far too many according to what I had read on the Net boards like this one where I had been trying to educate myself. However, I took his advice. This LFS is a small family owned business, not a big chain with anonymous sales clerks, so the owner could expect serious adverse reaction if he had told me a lot of nonsense.
I stocked the tank with 10 cardinal tetras, four juvenile corys, and six adult platys.
Two weeks later, when the water chemistry had pretty much normalized the mortality bill was three dead cardinals and two dead platys. There were no subsequent deaths. I considered the three dead cards about normal from what I had read of the tendency of these fish to die on you within a few days of adding them to the tank, but that if they survive this initial stress they become hardy. I also discovered one of the missing platys on the floor, he had jumped out of the tank.
What I have not mentioned is that I planted the tank heavily with nutrient-hungry plants like watersprite as soon as I put the water in.
From what I have subsequently learned, it may be that the plants played an important role in denitrifying the water, but I am still not totally convinced that the Denitrol did not help.

Bacteria aren't really dangerous chemicals or snake oils. Theoretically, if the water conditions are right ( temperature/pH/darkness) then it should work in the presence of nitrates.

When used properly, I've noticed a great difference.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: