Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how to build a huge pond in my basement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandon

PostPosted: 2003.03.20(Thu)19:14    Post subject: how to build a huge pond in my basement? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is where to put this, but o well. I would like to build a pond that is about 10'long 5'wide and 3'deep. how would I build a pond such as this? in the pond there is going to be a huge channel catfish, a few pacus, and 2 or 3 oscars, so it needs to be built tough. it would be an indoor pond in my basement. so it wouldnt be built in the ground. any info on this subject would be apreciated. or if you could just give me a website where I can find the info needed.
Badfrog
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.21(Fri)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site by a guy who did this very thing for his red-tailed cat:

http://www.aquamojo.com/pond.html
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.22(Sat)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about the humidity. I have read about people making koi ponds in their garage and everything was moldy after a few months. Not good. Your basement would be worse, as the humidity would affect your whole house.
brandon

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could give me any more websites for this stuff. that one told what he used but didn't really tell much about assembly. with the humidity in the basement, my basement isnt humid and nothing has ever molded in my basement so I should be fine w/ that.
sharksgalore
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

humidity is caused by water, you are putting water in the basement so therefore you get humidity even if there wasn't any humidity there before. so just because you havent had mold before doesn't mean you won't get it after building the pond. If you live in a cold location you are even more succeptible to moisture condensing on the structure of the house, rafters, floor beams etcetera which means mold. just leting you know.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandon wrote:
my basement isnt humid and nothing has ever molded in my basement so I should be fine w/ that.

As sharksgalore said, the more open water you have in your home, the more water will evaporate. A good example of unnoticed evaporation is your tank filter. If you have a HOB filter, like an Aqua Clear, for example, there are always water droplets forming on the cover. This filter is full of fast-moving water and is only about 6"x8" (AC 300). Lots of water condenses on it in a day, right? Imagine having a slower moving water source 10'x5'. That just asks for mold.

Unless your room humidity is less than 2% (unfeasible, veeeeeery rare, must be desert Laughing ), I would not put this size pond indoors. You may purchase a dehumidifier, and have that run next to the pond, and put the water back in every day, but that is probably the only way to keep your home relatively mold free.

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info. I forgot that I was just adding humidity when I added a lot of water Embarassed so would it be easier to build a huge tank not in my basement but in the house or what? and if so how much would it cost to build an aquarium that large. I like aquariums much more than ponds any way. that way you can see eye to eye w/ you much loved pets Very Happy
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be sure that your floor can support the weight of a huge tank (over 1000 G? how much?), so it may be preferable to have it in your basement. You could actually build it into a wall, but that takes a lot of work and planning.

What is wrong with having an outdoor pond? You could bring fishies in for the winter if it's really cold.

An aquarium may end up costing more than a pond, because it is easier to use already purchased materials (like indoor lights, et cetera) than buying all brand new things.

It would be nice if the pond idea worked Very Happy
What is your humidity %? Have you considered a dehumidifier? If you're really into having a pond, make it work, or at least try. Laughing
brandon

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want an outdoor pond because I live in illinois "usa" and right now it is about 40 degrees. another reason why I couldnt is because in the pond I would like a channel cat, a few pacus, a few oscars, and a big tiger shovlenose. I don't have an aquarium that can hold those fish. if I did I wouldnt be asking about the pond. the pond or tank would be 1125 gallons. I already have a dehumidifier in my room, I have a 125 gallon two 75 gallons and a 55 gallon in my room....... I don't know how the floor is still standing Shocked . I have floor jacks under each one though. btw, does anyone know how much this aquarium would weigh? I'm not sure what the humidity percent in my basement is.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.23(Sun)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think water weighs 2.2 lbs a litre (?), but with all the accessories and gravel, etc. I think it would be safe to estimate 4/5 pounds a gallon. That means your 1125 g tank would weigh about 5,060 lbs. That's definitely basement material. If you have a dehumidifier going in your room with smaller tanks, imagine what a huge tank will be like. I would just nix that idea.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by Skysong on 2003.04.10(Thu)14:35; edited 2 times in total
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: