Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
baby goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.16(Fri)16:23    Post subject: baby goldfish Reply with quote

I started off with 4 orange coloured goldfish in my pond, last year they reproduced prolifically and there must be a hundred in there now! The problem is most of the offspring reverted to the natural brown colour and I don't know what to do with them- any suggestions???
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

All goldfish are brown when young. They'll turn gold eventually.
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I was hoping but some of them are a year old now and no change! do you think a shop would be likely to take some off of my hands now or wait till they're golden? Confused
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touie ,

Most goldfish species do not gain all their full potential colour until their second year of life and on.a lot also has to do with their diet , living spaces , filtration etc.Patience ,some time , and care are really needed to see these fish live to their highest potential.As for taking some them out of the pond and selling them to your local lfs , its a possibility and you should look into that.I know in my surrounding areas , they offer me fish/plant credit to be used in the store at any time and it never expires on me.Just a question for you , how many fish do you have and is the pond big enough to hold them ? Good luck ! Very Happy

ACE
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how many fish are in there I has 4 spring last year I'm sure that there are hundreds now and I don't think the pond is big enough I had lots of wildlife last year, insects, frogs, tadpoles, but nothing this year- guess the fish are eating everything! I don't know what to do with them- every time I looked in there last year there were more fry swimming around! I'll ask around and see if a shop will take them!
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.08.03(Tue)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the shop will take them or not. Thats actually a pretty good question as(on a smaller scale due to early culling) the same problem. I fed a good majority to my other fish when they were small. My guess is that they may take the either as Feeders, or if they are attractive enough(I have a few that are the same color as a navel orange at 6 months) as "pond comets." or simply drop them in the koi pond.

BTw, its astonishing how quickly they can grow outside, and how radically you can see the effects of extra space and good care versus fish trapped in either a smaller pond or in a bowl.

For later years, I suggest removing a good portion of the young if you don't want them. At this stage, it is easy to feed them to other fish or simply use them as compost. Do not, whatever you do, release them into a local body of water.
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.28(Sat)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fish are all starting to get their colours now! thanks for the advice!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: