Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I want a water garden with fish..where do I start?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SumthinsFishy
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.15(Thu)10:03    Post subject: I want a water garden with fish..where do I start? Reply with quote

I just moved into a new place and I've decided to build a water garden in the backyard next spring. I would like to have some koi as well...maybe just three or so. I am completely useless with tools, so I am going to have a professional install the tank. Can you give me pointers about size, depth and anything else I should tell the contractor?
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want koi, you should plan for at least a 2000-3000 gallon pond, if not more, about 2.5 to 3 ft. deep. If you decide not to have koi, you have many more options. I wouldn't go much smaller than 200g, but you would be limited to just a few goldies. In a 800-1000 gallon, you'l have room for 10-15 goldfish, with room for babies (which you will have!). Good luck!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)13:19    Post subject: Depth and frost Reply with quote

Your depth will be related to how deep one must go to avoid the pond freezing solid. The 2 foot depth is for avoiding losses by predators. If you are worried about predators, avoid shallow areas, best to be even 2' deep at the edge. Consider building plant shelves to allow for plant pots at 18 to 6" depths. Consider how to remove fish for treatment (swimming pool size requires draining to catch fish)

Early in the design, commit yourself to either a planted pond with fish or fish pond with plants. The needs may conflict somewhat, so get your priorities straight.

Do not let them fill the bottom with gravel or rocks for the annual clean out will be horrible. A pond with gravel bottom will be OK for awhile then suffer massive losses. If you like the look of rock, consider the rock print rubber liner.

You want shade but not leaves. You want it close to house and to electricity and close to a water hose. You need a GFI. Consider how you will clean it out, for leaves will blow in and pond plants decay and become mulm that must be removed. Consider a bottom drain for continual self cleaning, must be done with original install.

Waterfalls are cool but they often leak and are hard to set up correctly. Ditto for streams which also play havok with the volumes when the power is off and all water runs to the bottom and spills.

Check out this pond forum for good info, most of my pond construction sites have moved and I can't point you to them anymore.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/ponds/?4269[url]
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.17(Sat)13:25    Post subject: Above ground ponds Reply with quote

I made my pond from a 300 gallon horse watering trough, surrounded by posts and llined with EPDM. It is close to the house, where I couldn't dig down. A small recirculating fountain keeps it aerated and a separate filter and pump cleans it.

I'd suggest 10 - 20 gallons per goldfish, depending on filtration and how often you maintain it. Koi will require about 100 -300 gallons per fish, with a 1000 gal min size so they get the swimming room they need and the depth for safety.
matt168
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.08.02(Mon)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your depth will be related to how deep one must go to avoid the pond freezing solid. The 2 foot depth is for avoiding losses by predators. If you are worried about predators, avoid shallow areas, best to be even 2' deep at the edge. Consider building plant shelves to allow for plant pots at 18 to 6" depths. Consider how to remove fish for treatment (swimming pool size requires draining to catch fish)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: