Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
bottom dwellers for goldfish tanks
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharoh08
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.12(Mon)17:53    Post subject: bottom dwellers for goldfish tanks Reply with quote

just wondering what bottom dwellers you guys would recommend for a 55 goldfish tank, its been atleast 10 years since I've had a goldfish, I'm only planning on 2 fancy goldfish for the 55. I've heard of weather loaches but they aren't available in the area, and I don't got the extra cash right now to pay for the shipping(looking for new job, but had a interview today, and think I may have got it)

but anyways just wondering what you guys have tried.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.12(Mon)23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dojo's or Weather Loaches are indeed the ideal bottom dweller for Goldfish tanks, since they like similar water temperatures. For other recommendations it would be good if you to described what is the minimum temperature your tank will be experiencing over the year...
pharoh08
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.12(Mon)23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

temp will depend on what fish I get, I control my temps all year round, so its not a big deal as long as everyone if comfy.
touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.18(Sun)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some pretty cool looking bottom dwellers at the LFS today they were called Borneo Suckers! I don't know anything about them though as I don't keep a cold water tank!
cool fish dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.18(Sun)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

touie wrote:
I saw some pretty cool looking bottom dwellers at the LFS today they were called Borneo Suckers! I don't know anything about them though as I don't keep a cold water tank!

is this what you saw?

touie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.19(Mon)3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats what I saw don't know how big they get though, were quite little in the LFS!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2004.07.19(Mon)14:08    Post subject: NO Reply with quote

No! Nothing but goldfish with goldfish, no sucking type fish, ever, ever, ever.

Just wait, in time your fish will look unhappy, bacteria, parasites, littel suciton mouth shaped marks. It happens at night, sit up and watch for it.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.19(Mon)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

anona, I've never heard of a Hillstream loach doing any of those things. They are a much different species than plecos and the only concern I would have is that they prefer faster moving waters than the goldies. They don't get very big (2") and are not very agressive. In fact I'm pretty sure they eat mostly wood and vegetable matter unlike plecos which are omnivores. Many goldfish keepers actiually keep them quite successfully together.
Caseman
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.09.03(Fri)21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a couple of Dojo loaches. They are a blast to watch and really keep things clean. I bought a couple of baby dojo's at walmart about a year ago and now they are 6 inches long. I heard they might survive in a pond during the summer, so I'll try that next year. Laughing
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: