Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
interesting coldwater fish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guppicat
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)3:33    Post subject: interesting coldwater fish? Reply with quote

MY BROTHER SAYS-
I have a community cold freshwater tank. what types of fish are suited to coldwater tanks apart from goldfish, danios, galaxias and white cloud minnows, black widow tetras and golden barbs.
I really want to make my tank look bright and colourful but the only colourful fish I can find are goldfish.
PLEASE HELP HIM OUT LOVE CAT
Rolling Eyes
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr did I hear you correctly? since when are danios, black widow tetras, and golden barbs coldwater? did I miss a memo? sorry I think you should either return the goldfish and get more tropical fish, or get rid of the above fish and get more goldfish. HTH (hope this helps) -nate
guppicat
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry but we live in australia so maybe there is a difference. or maybe these fish are have different names in America? ? I have kept these fish coldwater for years and they are just as colourful and active and happy as when I kept them in tropical once. they were sold to us as either coldwater or tropical and from a VERY good aquarium! strange isn't it. I once kept something called giant blue danios in coldwater though I suspect they were strictly tropical because they were almost colourless and looked so sad. I had to take them back but I have had one zebra danio for at least 5-6 years. I dodn't think golden barbs would be coldwater but they are the life of my coldwater tank ! Strange huh! do you know any other ACTUALLY COLDWATER fish that my bro could keep. my tank is just fine with it's white clouds, barbs and goldfish ( and one beautiful galaxia).
thanks anyway
luv cat
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomrambler wrote:
errr did I hear you correctly? since when are danios, black widow tetras, and golden barbs coldwater? did I miss a memo? sorry I think you should either return the goldfish and get more tropical fish, or get rid of the above fish and get more goldfish. HTH (hope this helps) -nate

Actually, many of these fish do well in coldwater.

I'm not sure what your brother wants. I know of some pretty coldwater fish, but since you are down below you may be unable to get them. The fish you mentioned are quite colorful already.
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I just blurted out what came to mind before looking it up.. I guess it would make sense that those fish would do well in coldwater.. they are so hardy.. anyways I'm sorry Embarassed maybe try some more barb species..... I heard since they are in the carp family they do well in colder waters...
guppicat
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry Wink I wasn't sure they were coldwater myself actually. are barbs teritorial because I heard they are but my golden barbs are very social with everyone in the tank. also the only type of snails that seem to be coldwater are red ramshorn and mysterys ( I keep mysterys in the trop. tank too). are there any more that are suited to coldwater? any other tetras? I did find some white black widow tetras once. I'll try them again.

thanks luv cat
ps feel free to give me names of any coldwater fish or snails etc even if you arn't sure if aus will have'em. we'll look and if they don't have them they don't have them.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think there is a fish native to Austrailia that may fit. Called Australian pygmy perch. Sci name escapes me now.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity. What is the ambiant temp of the tank for the most part. If it's over 74 degrees then it's pretty much on the tropical side which is why oyour fish are doing well.
guppicat
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.11(Sun)6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay well in aust we work in degrees celsius and it's winter. our cold tanks are about room temp which would be about 12 degrees celsius which I THINK is about 54 degrees fahrenheit? not sure
and thanks for NOT using the sci name coz I never really understand them all I just know all the fish by their common names. I'll look for this perch actually now you mention it I think I might have heard of it.
thanks luv cat
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.12(Mon)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow how cold do you keep your home in the winter? I'd be freezing my behind off. LOL I keep my house in 21-23 degree weather all the time no matter the season. 12 degrees is pretty cool for the other fish as well. How long is their normal lifespan. I know the cold water will slow their metabolism, but many of those species tend to get ill in colder waters due to a drop in their immune system. It may be that since you keep the tank water stable that they do OK, but I'm really curious.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: