Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How do I make my own DIY protein skimmer??
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lil_romeo
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.08(Thu)1:13    Post subject: How do I make my own DIY protein skimmer?? Reply with quote

Hello There,
umm.... does what is the difference between a protein skimmer and a co2 diffusser????

IF any knows how to do a DIY protein skimmer/co2 Disffuser please send mi the deisgn of website!!!!
Thank you
ColinAnderson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.08(Thu)2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protein skimmers are primarily used in saltwater setups. The whole idea is to collect the organic matter/residue/pollutents/minerals/buildup etc. that accumulate on the surface of the water. It "skims" the surface, removing large amounts of these things, and thus plays a part in keeping the aquarium healthy and biologically in-balance. It's really kind of neat (from what I understand). The whole process of skimming involves bubbles. These organic and mineral buildups collect as film around the bubbles when introduced to the surface of the water, and are thus carried from the surface of the water as the bubbles rise into the collection grid. When the bubbles burst, the film is deposited in the collection grid (of the protein skimmer) and thus are removed from the water.

CO2 diffusion is completely different. CO2 is amply available in the air ... but the amount of CO2 that can "exist" in the air is something like sixteen times less than the amount that can "exist" in water. This is the purpose of the CO2 diffuser -- it "diffuses" (or for lack of a better word, mixes) the CO2 into the water.

I hope these are clear enough explanations. My protein skimming knowledge is largely based upon what principles I learned in chemistry and what I've read on forums. The CO2 information can be easily found on forums and sites like these. Hope all that helps. Smile

In short, if you don't have a marine tank, you can get by without protein skimming. If you have a well-planted tank with ample amounts of light, you cannot get by without CO2 injection/diffusion.

110 liter planted
Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim 2215 Canister
lil_romeo
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.08(Thu)3:11    Post subject: hello!! Reply with quote

Hello there,
well I have a 300L which is a 6ft tank and kind of planted because I have just shifted the plants which filled my 3ft into my 6ft, now it looks so plain. But yer you will add lots more in. my tank has 2 fluoro tubes, both 30Watts and I think 5000K or somethink like that. But yer. So do you know any websites that show how to make a DIY protein SKimmer and a co2 Diffuser???? If you do can you please tell.. coz my plants are not really looking healthy enough.
Thank you
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.08(Thu)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need a protein skimmer. A protein skimmer will do nothing for your tank. If you had a saltwater tank you'd want a protein skimmer. You have a planted tank, forget about the protein skimmer.

Below I've linked a few webpages on how to setup a pressurized CO2 injection system and other CO2 information. With your tank size pressurized CO2 injection is a much better choice over the DIY yeast fermentation method. However, you need to do some research before injecting CO2, injecting CO2 is not without some potentially deadly pitfalls. You must throughly understand the principles, techniques, and dangers before you begin injecting CO2. Lastly, your setup is most likely having problems due to lack of light rather than CO2 related issues. Your lighting of 60W over 300L is very low. Even double that amount to 120W would still be low light and CO2 injection not become a necessity. You need to address the lighting issue before of CO2 injection. However, in the interim here's some information about CO2 injection.

http://www.aquariaplants.com/pressurizedco2.htm

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.07.08(Thu)12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definintely agree with Steve. Your plant problems are related to inadequate lighting rather than lack of CO2. You really only need CO2 once you get above 2 wpg. Are you fertilizing at all?

110 liter planted
Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim 2215 Canister
modemfox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.07(Mon)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fluval 104 and I use the skimmer attachment for it. It actually does help in that it removes anything like dust on the surface that won't sink on its own and allows more light into the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.02.12(Sat)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

modemfox wrote:
I have a Fluval 104 and I use the skimmer attachment for it. It actually does help in that it removes anything like dust on the surface that won't sink on its own and allows more light into the tank.

You are using a surface skimmer not a protein skimmer...they are completely different. A protein skimmer won't help your planted tank. A surface skimmer will...just don't confuse the two.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: