Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do ballasts wear out in 2 years
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chupacabra1
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.05(Mon)20:52    Post subject: Do ballasts wear out in 2 years Reply with quote

I went to the Lfs the other day and he told me that electronic ballasts have to be replaced often for power compact lighting such as coralife and stuff. Is this true?

How many times have people hear had to replace their lighting fixture because the electronic balast went out on PC bulbs?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.06(Tue)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap ballasts are affected by humidity. I wouldn't be surpirsed if the LFS employee took their situation and made and assumption. In a lfs I would imagine that electronic ballasts do need replacing. If you have a decent quality ballast and it stays cool and dry then you won't need to replace it for years.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.06(Tue)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that because of the salt and hard water a baast would need changing more often? I could be way off the mark here LOL
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.06(Tue)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huntress wrote:
I'm assuming that because of the salt and hard water a baast would need changing more often? I could be way off the mark here LOL
LOL, salt and hard water would affect the ballast even more if t cam into contact with the actual water but I am assuming that we aren't splashing our ballasts or light fixtures.

Even without splashing, the end caps and ballasts can get pooched on a cheap light from moisture only. I bumped a shop light over the opening at the back of one of my tanks and by the time I came back from work the one ballast had croaked.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
pating
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.09.14(Tue)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballasts needs to be replaced only if you hear noisy hummig sound from it as this will kill your bulb. they are coated with electrical varnish to protect the wounded copper wire and salt water or humidity has got no effect on it
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: