Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what neat fish are suitable for ponds
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warklock
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.29(Tue)17:48    Post subject: what neat fish are suitable for ponds Reply with quote

would like to fill a pond of pretty fish
the problem is that in winter water in the surface can form ice in the morning one to five days a year so I get good summer temp but very low in winter
I'm tinking in some clown loachs or some form of barb or shark since carp can sustain those conditions also there is a form of poecilia(thats one of the reason I would try to cross them with guppyes) that can sustain that varation since they got time to aclimate
adult size doesent matter since I got a 5000 litter tank outside that used to be for washing cloth were I can put them latter
I'm only loking for some nice robust fish I even prefer if they are big in adult form
if I can get bottom middle and top water fishes better
apreciat any help because I tink summer is the only seson I can put them outside with time for they to get used to it

and a swarm of 30 cm clow loach in the tank would be an amazing view Razz don't you agree??

p.s I can admit some death rate from the weaker ones and less prepared

Last edited by warklock on 2004.06.29(Tue)18:06; edited 2 times in total
matt168
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.29(Tue)17:57    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Well, I am sorry to say it but there are really no fish that are suitable for an outside pond except for koi (well, and maybe goldfish). Unless you can keep the water always as clean as an aquarium and have a filter, a air pump, and keep the water temperature always 70-80 degrees
sory Crying or Very sad *sob*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
warklock
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.29(Tue)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

but matt arent poecilia an tropical origin only species?
and I have seen them keeped outside in less than 40 liters of stagnated water year round

my tank has weekly 80% water changes from the same weel so its already brings algae etc.. but I'm afraid of puting little fish the for trial because of the lepomis gibbosus I have there that have 15 cm
huje KOi live in rivers here and you can even fish them

but I have keept swordtail (and they are 70 79
matt168
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.30(Wed)7:21    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Well, If you want to put in tropicals in your pond. Make sure they are big... *sigh* your taking a risk there but I can't stop you. Do what you think is best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.30(Wed)8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a lot of people keep cichlids in their ponds. Oscars, texas cichlids and other larger breeds. Most people move the cichlids into the garage in a rubbermaid bucket during the winter or just make sure the pond is covered by a plank of wood and the filter or waterfall is providing adequate movement so very littl if any of the pond water freezes. Even though it's really cold outside a deep enough pond won't get very cold near the bottom since it has the earth as insulation.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.30(Wed)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of cool fish are suitable for outdoor ponds. Depending on where you live, you may be able to keep wild type guppies outside all year if the pond is deep. Paradise fish can survive even under ice as long as the pond is, again, deep enough. Note that for the above fish, casualty rates are quite high outside then compared to tanks, and often the population is severely depleted over the winter. For cold weather your best choice may be the mosquitofish, which can tolerate freezing. Under those conditions, the population may drop as much as 90% do to less hardy individuals. In my pond, some years everyone except maybe a few large females and some tough juvies would die. But no worries...as by the time early fall rolled by, they were back to hundreds of fish. That was before I exterminated them all though... Razz

I've always wanted to try pumpkinseed sunfish in an outdoor pond. That would be awesome! I could imagine the males staking claim to the clear sandy edges or your own pond and showing there best colors. Texas cichlids and other species that have managed to run wild in Florida are also possible picks. Just make SURE there is no way for any nonatives to escape-during, say, a flood, or if you decide to give someone some plants(don't).
warklock
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.30(Wed)17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugal ol
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.30(Wed)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to have a hole in the ice at all times. Besides, you need a filter...and that means a pump. I have a filterless pond that grows fish fry(and TONS of hair algae) but that doesn't work to well as you can tell.
warklock
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.30(Wed)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK if I do it I will ad a pump and will see what filter I will need
many tanks
guppicat
Members

PostPosted: 2004.07.10(Sat)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey if you can't get any other fish to work in your pond shubunkin goldfish are perfect. they are attractive, very hardy and active. they also come in a variety of colours although most shubunkins are spotted. you will definately need to make a hole in the surface if your pond freezes over.
luv cat
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: