Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New pond.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)19:47    Post subject: New pond. Reply with quote

My yard just finished its renovation and we added a new pond that's about 5 feet deep and there's a few boulders about the 3 inches above the surface for some turtles. Here's the question: How long until the water is safe for turtles? I know turtles don't care much about water quality just as long as its not too bad. But what about the Koi? The pond is 8 by 5 feet so about how many koi should I keep?
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.29(Tue)9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a pond with both koi and turtles you'll need some super filtration. You could prolly add turtles right now, since they aren't constantly in the water a bit of ammonia won't bother them, plus they'll start the cycling process. Don't expect the turtles to stay, though. If they can get out of the pond they'll prolly take a few leisurly strolls around your backyard (and front yard too).

If the pond has just been finished you'll need to give it about two or three good weeks before adding koi. Get the filter going and the fountain/waterfall (if you have one) and let the pond sit for about 2-3 weeks. You could do some planting while you're waiting so your pond will be all pretty for the koi. Koi get huge, so you'll need a lot of space to keep them in. What are the dimensions of your pond? Better yet, how many gallons does your pond hold? We have a 1600 gallon pond and only 16 fish, so each of our fish have 100 gallons to themselves. We might be able to add more, or we might have too many (who knows?). Just don't go out and buy 30 or so fish b/c they're small because they'll definately grow.

Byez! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: