Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My planted 55 gallon
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.04(Fri)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have a ? for you Cillana, I have a 29 gallon with 15 fish and one bottom feeder being #15 I was wondering if I could add some cories I heard that the pleco would dominate and hog food do your plecs do that thanks?
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.04(Fri)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veeeery good!! Mr. Green What do you use as fertilizer? What is your lighting like?
Cillana
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.05(Sat)0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first planted tank. I started it around July 2001. I'm learning as I go along. Not getting the amount of light, fertz, and CO2 balanced right can result in various kinds of algae taking over. First I had problems with green algae on the walls of the tank. The bristlenose plecos really helped out too. A few months later I had green water. Then towards the end of the year, things started to settle.

Here's a pic from November 2001, soon after I got my ozelot sword.

Here's a pic from April 2002 when I learned that too much liquid fertz makes my stem plants try to take over.

For a little while between April and August (when the pic at the beginning of the thread was taken) I had some hairy algae problems. That was a pain to get rid of.

I add root tabs with iron into my gravel and sometimes add a little squirt of kent's liquid fertz. I have a DIY CO2 generator in a glass gallon jug. I've been away at college since August and haven't gotten to do much or take any more pictures. Since I'm not there very often to trim the moneywort which grows pretty fast under my 160 watts (4 40watt bulbs), I decided to move it and my anubias (which wasn't doing well) to my 10 gallon with a 15watt bulb. I replaced the moneywort with some asian ambulia. It grows pretty fast too but it is more delicate so it doesn't create an impassible mass of stems like the moneywort.

Plecos can be algae chip hogs. I break up the chips and give sinking crumbles to make sure all my bottom feeders get something to eat.

Thanks for all the complements. Very Happy
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.06(Sun)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance of a more recent pic? I would like to see the terraces
Cillana
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.07(Mon)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading back home for spring break next weekend. I'm going to take some new pictures then.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: