Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My planted 55 gallon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cillana
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.19(Wed)12:58    Post subject: My planted 55 gallon Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my tank from August. I have since moved the dwarf anubias (front, lower right side) and the moneywort (back, left side) to another tank. I replaced the moneywort with some asian ambulia. I'm moving the tank to our new house on March 30, so I thought that would be a good time to do some rearranging.

Here's what I'm thinking needs to change. The big leaves of my aponogeton (right, back corner) tend to shade my red ludwigia which is my most light hungry plant, so I want to keep it away from my ludwigia or maybe even totally take it out. I want to add some pieces of slate in the gravel to create terraces. On the lowest terrace, I want to add some large river rocks to keep my dwarf sag from growing too close together since that makes it hard for my big fat cories to get to the front of the tank. I tried to grow vals behind my driftwood, but in the small space between it and the back wall, it didn't work. I'm going to try to grow the asian ambulia behind it instead.

My driftwood doesn't have a base so I can flip it over if I want to. I was hoping that you excellent aquascapers could suggest some ideas for a total make over. How should I rearrange? Should I add more plants? Which plants?

Click to see more info about this tank Note: it says I just have vermiculite and gravel, but when I set the tank back up I'm going to add some laterite and maybe some silica sand under the gravel.

I wasn't sure if this should go under photo album or plants, so please move it if I got it wrong.
TetraKeeper808
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.20(Thu)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I am a big fan of that tank bacause I have seen it before when you posted it earlier. well the val looks great and I like the terraces idea. that will look really cool. the dwarf sag looks pretty good but not a problem.
Raul-7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.24(Mon)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tank, what are the dimensions? Smile
Shark70
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.25(Tue)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful tank. Nice driftwood and plants.
Cillana
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.25(Tue)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
I traded in some baby cories and water sprite at my lfs and got enough credit to get 6 lbs of black slate. I got small chips for the terrace.

Next Saturday is the moving date. Confused This is going to be an adventure.
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.03.25(Tue)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those little Pacu's or silver dollars?

or something else entirely
Cillana
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.25(Tue)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. I guess you're talking about the black skirt tetras. This is only a 4 foot tank. Those tetras are only 3 inches long. The largest fish are 3 5-inch pearl gouramis.

The list of fish is on my website but I guess I'll repeat it here:
3 Pearl gouramis
3 Black skirt tetras
3 Platies
11 Cherry barbs
6 Peppered corydoras
4 Kuhli loaches (1 is a java)
3 Otos
4 Bristlenose plecos

All of these fish are full grown or practically full grown except for the plecos. The youngest fish are actually the platies, but they grow really fast. The oldest fish are 2 of the cherry barbs, which are 5 years old. This tank has only been up for about 2 years.
Cillana
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.31(Mon)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it took me 5 hours to take the tank down. I put all the fish and plants in gallon ziplocs (except my ozelot sword which was too big) and loaded them into two big icechests. I put the gravel, mulm, more water, and the driftwood into big buckets. We didn't get there until really late. I was too sore and tired to set it back up right then. I found my 20 gallon tank in one of the boxes and set it up on the floor. I filled it with about 5 gallons of fresh water before I floated and slowly relased all the fish. I hooked up the filter and heater to the tank.

The next morning I found my fish gasping. I guess the filter didn't create enough surface disturbance. I managed to prop the outtake of the filter up higher so that it splashed more and hooked up an air pump and air stone. I wish I had done that the night before. My two oldest fish (5 year old cherry barbs Bing and Red) might have survived if I had. Crying or Very sad It took me 3 hours to get the tank set back up. All the surviving fish look happy. I rotated the driftwood so now the plecos have to reestablish their turf. The kuhli loaches love all the little nooks and crannies created by the slate I used to make the terraces. I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. I'll take some when I go back home for spring break in two weeks.
Kribensis00
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.01(Tue)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I love how your tank is setup, the plants are gorgeous.
Adam
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.04(Fri)3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, the plants look great. How long did it take you to reach this stage??
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: