Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Unplanned koi babies!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

IchbodDempsey wrote:
First of all, they were never in a 1g. Second of all, I think 50 gallons for 15 fry is rediculous when they are this small. So far I have raised them for around two months and they have done fine where they are. Thanks for the help though and Ill keep my eye on them if they look like they are struggling

I mistyped and meant to type 6g. When you have fry especially koi fry you need a much bigger tank than they really need for grow out purposes. The amount of koi you have is really heavy on the bioload. even if you can get a 20g something to put them in, unless you are doing daily waterchanges of 50-80% the nitrate levels can and will become toxic. Growing out fry healthily is a far different task than just keeping fish. If they start looking like they are struggling you may be too late. Their systems are still forming and any damage may be permanent leading to short lifespans and poor immune systems, so I don't think my advice was so 'rediculous'.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved some of my bigger fish out of my 15 gallon tank and put about ten of the biggest babies into it to help them out, so now in the 6 gallon there are only around 5 and I think that should help things. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just think that 50 gallons at this point (not for the future) is a little much. I DO thank you for your advice
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. 50g is excessive, but excessive is good when you want to grow out healthy stock for sale. The 15g should work for the ones you have in there for now, but I would definitely do constant waterchanges to keep the water Nitrate free.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm doing water changes of about 15-20 % once or twice weekly, and ill continue to do that in the 15 gallon. Once I move the babies to something bigger like a kiddie pool, how am I supposed to keep the temperature normal in 90 degree weather?
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best you can do is provide as much shade as possible. As long as there is constant shade all day and no direct sunlight you should be fine. if you can keep them in a garage thet'll be good too.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: