Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Unplanned koi babies!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.17(Thu)23:56    Post subject: Unplanned koi babies! Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently brought around 20 koi babies to school because he knew I was interested in fish. I didn't really have a choice but to take them or else he would have thrown them away. What he didn't know is that I have no pond, and I'm only experienced in freshwater tropical fish keeping, and I know nothing about pond fish. Iv'e managed to raise them for around two months and they are looking fine, but I'm worried about temperature and what to do with them once they get a little bigger, any advice?
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.18(Fri)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are they now, and what are you keeping them in? If they actually look like koi (and not like fry) and are an inch or two long, you could prolly sell them to the LFS. You could prolly keep a few of your favorites, but I wouldn't suggest keeping them all.

Byez! Very Happy
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.18(Fri)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in a tank far too small for them, its a warm water tank with guppy, betta, and molly fry as well-- the tank is only 6 gallons or so, and there are around thirty fish total being kept, the koi are the majority fish and most are starting to get color, but they are still fry, and the biggest might be around an inch long right now. I would like to keep them but I have no tank big enough, and no pond!
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.20(Sun)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell sell sell. The tank they are in is way too small and koi get to be 2-3 feet long when full grown. You'll need a huge pond for them to be truely happy. As in 3000 gallons or more. Please do them the favour. If your lfs won't take em then put a notice on aquabid.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.27(Sun)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I can't keep them as adults-- I just need to know how to care for koi until they are big enough to sell, because until then I'm not sure what to feed them or what temperatures they live in, etc... Theres no way I will be keeping any, I just need to know how to care for them
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.27(Sun)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

IchbodDempsey ,

Young Koi should be feed food ( bloodworms ,daphnia ,water shrimp ) all of which are rich in protein.Fry need about 37 - 42 of their diet to consist of protein.Other items you could use too but should exercise caution with qauntity is fresh vegetables like lettuce , squash but in very small pieces.Floating or sinking pellets are also recommended.For koi to develop their beautiful colours , they have to be feed items like plankton , spirulina , shrimp all which assist in bringing out more colour in koi.As for the temperature try to keep it in the range of 68 - 75 F ( 20 -23 C ) and have the pH between 7.0 - 7.8 and avoid changes in pH which affect younger fry more than adult fish.As for the tank you have now , you need a 50 gallon and up to house young fry to be successfull in rasing them. Hope this helped out a bit , I've had some experience rasing , breeding , and selling koi so let me know if you ever need a hand with anything.

ACE
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.06.27(Sun)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can't afford a new tank go out and get one of those rubbermaid 50g containers. Add an airstone and do water changes every few days. It'll be a perfect temp grow out tank until you can sell them. If they are in a 1g much longer you'll have dead fish.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.27(Sun)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, they were never in a 1g. Second of all, I think 50 gallons for 15 fry is rediculous when they are this small. So far I have raised them for around two months and they have done fine where they are. Thanks for the help though and Ill keep my eye on them if they look like they are struggling
waldo
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really should be moved into a cold water tank,they will grow/eat better and devolope better color.For right now they can go into a 10 gal,but once they get around 2 inches then they will need a much bigger tank.Get the biggest kiddie swimming pool you can find and use it to rear the babies to 3 inches then sell them.You can feed them flake koi food,just make sure you keep their water really clean as koi produce more waste then tropical fish.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.06.28(Mon)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, for when they get around two inches, if I moved them outside to a kiddie pool, I think they would get way overheated-- I live in New Mexico and right now its in the 90's outside so what would I use to regulate temperature? and also would I just put in a couple airstones or what?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: