Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
can't get coraline algae to grow
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvr16
Members

PostPosted: 2004.06.05(Sat)11:27    Post subject: can't get coraline algae to grow Reply with quote

I have had my tank for about 5 6 months now and for some reason I can't get the coraline algae to grow well. the algae would start growing in some spots then it would just stop and some would die off. ill list my specs hopefully they can help.
sg 1.024-025, alk is 3.0-3.5 meq/l always in the middle, calcium is 450, 96 watt acintic 96 watt 10000k ultra daylight, nitrite 0 nitrate 0 amonia 0 I add minor trace elements weekly and do a 5 gallon water change weekly I use red sea salt. 55 lbs of fiji live rock few hermit crabs few snail 1 algae blenny 2 clowns some button polyps, mushroom coral, and finger leather coral. the tank is a 40 gallon breeder tank. someone please help
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.07.23(Fri)4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

corraline is a slow grower from what I have noticed a good steady alkalinity and calcium level is best as far as lighting different types of lighting only affect the color. I would say just give it some time corraline can take a while to take off well
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2004.10.15(Fri)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have no idea what's going on. The rock should be fluorishing, Fiji especially. One thing that could be happening is microalgae on the rock is outcompeting it.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2004.10.22(Fri)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, algae such as hair and the like can outcompete coralline algae.

At the zoo I work at, the aquarium uses chemicals called A and B (two seperate chemical buffers), from the company Two Little Fishes. A and B are added to every saltwater tank once a week--5mL per 20 gallons. Apparently this helps the coralline algae grow---the old sea star tank, which was coated in hair algae, has some white and green coralline algae taking over the walls.

Kent is another company that makes such buffers. Those are the only two I've used myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: