Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my 30 gallon planted
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surething
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)13:19    Post subject: my 30 gallon planted Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the names of the plants, kinda new at plants. maybe you can help me out with them. one of the plants is kinda like webby and has a bunch of holes in it, like a screen. sorry but the pics came out dark, I never use a flash cause it makes it glare.

I have 2 lights on there that are about 25-35 watts. one is a white herp light, the other is kinda purplish in color.
surething
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appreciate any tips and comments from you guys to help make my tank look better, anything to do with fertilizer and lighting would help. Wink
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pics came out a bit dark so its hard to make any suggestions regarding plant placements ect. I would recommend buying some new bulbs. Get rid of the herp light and the purplish one as well and replace them with an aqua glo tubes or another fluorecent bulb. This will make your plants happier. You should also add a black/dark blue background to set off the plants.

After doing this post a frew more pics and I'm sure you'll get comments and suggestions to help make your tank look better.

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics are rather dark. I also agree that you need a background on your tank. I really like the "daylight" 6500k spectrum bulbs, they really brighten it up with a nice white light. I like them far better than the standard purple aquarium bulbs. You really should have more wattage for plants. I'm relatively new to plants also and when I switched from 1 WPG to 3.8 and added some trace elements and fertilizer the plants just took off growing!! I think light is the most important thing for a planted tank.

PostPosted: 2003.03.18(Tue)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the plant you describe looking like a screen is called something like a skeleton plant, I can't remeber the exact name. It looks like the one with the big thick leaves is an Amazon Sword.
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.03.19(Wed)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madagascar lace plant, Aponogeton madagascariensis. Another suggestion is to include some otos (if suitable for your tank) to clean up the brown algae. Otherwise the tank looks great with nice rockwork!
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.19(Wed)11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies everyone. I'm getting this lighting system, not sure how it works exactly, but it has (2) 110 watt bulbs, real long and skinny but bright. I have been putting in black water extract, and some iron supplement. I'm thinking about getting a co2 bottle they have at the store. I will try to take brighter pics tonight, perhaps with the flash on.
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.19(Wed)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your onto the right track. The lighting system sounds like a Power Compact retro-fit kit. The power that those put out will be great for this size of a tank.

CO2 injection is another, IMO, necessity if your going to increase the lighting. I wouldn't suggest the Hagen CO2 unit that they sell in the store. I have a friend that switched from a DIY soda bottle to the unit and said it wasn't worth his money.

If you don't know about this method you should look into it. For under 2 dollars to make its paid dividends for me and is surely one of the best decions I've made!! Cool

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
surething
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.19(Wed)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, but I read the DIY yeast thing and it made little sense to me, I guess I'm not good at understanding that kinda stuff. hte LFS sells them for 17.99, but will give it to me for like 10 bucks, I'm a good customer, he has great plants. I'm gonna put a black background as said earlier, and add some more grass looking plant in there. most people I know use fake plants and in my opinion it look tacky.
surething
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.20(Thu)12:20    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: